Vickers Viscount ECM.Mk.3 - Work In Progress

Started by Knightflyer, June 04, 2022, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Well, I've just listed the roles it might conduct.

I'm no expert on RAF aircraft designations but aircraft tend to be given general designations such as E-3C or Viscount E.Mk.3, etc., followed by their specific role, so; E-3C AWACS or Viscount E.Mk.3 AEW&C, for example.

Although I note that Nimrod designations seem to have been eithe more specific(^) or more generalised(*); Nimrod MR Mk.1*, Nimrod AEW Mk.3^, Nimrod MR Mk. 2* & Nimrod MRA Mk.4*

Edit: Perhaps you could combine the two & make an Anglo-American designation, such as that given for the Viscount above or Viscount MRA Mk.3 ELINT?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

If the idea is that the aircraft is listening and recording electronic (Radio & Radar) from other countries then "R" for Reconnaissance would be correct. If the aircraft is to actively jam radio and radar then "ECM" would be correct.
The word Reconnaissance does not differentiate between Visual, Photographic, Electronic or for that matter Cyber means of doing so.
AWACS and AEW&C are used by what is in essence an Airborne Radar station which can include additional communication and control capabilities dependand of the electronic equipment fitted and its designation which denotes its use.
Hope that helps.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Devilfish

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 22, 2022, 06:41:51 AM
Well, I've just listed the roles it might conduct.

I'm no expert on RAF aircraft designations but aircraft tend to be given general designations such as E-3C or Viscount E.Mk.3, etc., followed by their specific role, so; E-3C AWACS or Viscount E.Mk.3 AEW&C, for example.

Although I note that Nimrod designations seem to have been eithe more specific(^) or more generalised(*); Nimrod MR Mk.1*, Nimrod AEW Mk.3^, Nimrod MR Mk. 2* & Nimrod MRA Mk.4*

Edit: Perhaps you could combine the two & make an Anglo-American designation, such as that given for the Viscount above or Viscount MRA Mk.3 ELINT?

E-3 AWACS is an American designation.  In RAF service it was known as the Sentry AEW.1. 

If this is an Elint aircraft, it would be an R designation, like the Nimrod R.1, and Sentinel R.1

Knightflyer

Doing a bit more digging - there was the Andover E.3 / E.3A which was used for radio and airport nav aid calibration

So as far as the RAF/RN etc are concerned the R designation for aircraft going out and actively 'snooping' and the E designation for the 'stay at home / they also served / boring but necessary' type electronic roles?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Gondor

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 22, 2022, 08:28:41 AM
Doing a bit more digging - there was the Andover E.3 / E.3A which was used for radio and airport nav aid calibration

Yup, E for Electronic in this case

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 22, 2022, 08:28:41 AM
So as far as the RAF/RN etc are concerned the R designation for aircraft going out and actively 'snooping' and the E designation for the 'stay at home / they also served / boring but necessary' type electronic roles?
Not quite but close enough.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 06:09:37 AM
In the RAF just 'E' covers a multitude of electronic sins though, so it could cover lots of Womby's listed tasks.

I think that's because they pronounce it "Ell'-leck-tron'-ic" versus the American "Ee'-lecc-tron-ic" ... just kidding, I've no idea why, really.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 22, 2022, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 06:09:37 AM
In the RAF just 'E' covers a multitude of electronic sins though, so it could cover lots of Womby's listed tasks.

I think that's because they pronounce it "Ell'-leck-tron'-ic" versus the American "Ee'-lecc-tron-ic" ... just kidding, I've no idea why, really.  ;)

Wouldn't surprise me  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 22, 2022, 01:05:10 PM

That would depend on where in the US you are though, in Yorkshire it would be "Eeeeeeee-lick-tron-ic" with the emphasis on the Tetlies, tea or Bitter.  ;D ;)

Gondor