What if an 1/48 spitfire was turned into a light bomber

Started by 63cpe, June 06, 2022, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

I have this 1/48 spitfire IX lying around and have been contemplating to turn it into a 1/72 light bomber (Blenheim class). I want to use as much as possible from the spitfire. It all seems feasible and have trimmed the back a little lower, cut the engine partially to accommodate a new canopy and where the canopy used to be there will be a turret.
Meanwhile I'm trying to put two engines on. But do I put Merlins on it or radials (Mercury / Hercules)?

Will post pictures soon.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Anything other than Merlins or Griffons would be, well, wrong!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

I would go with two Merlin's but that's just me. Are you going to put on a glazed nose? Or a bunch of guns?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

63cpe

Ok, i'll check how merlins look like on it.  Will check  the engine nacelles from a Lancaster and an early Halifax.

@ Kerick: i think i'll go for a glass nose and think something like A-26 C or Caproni ca 310. Both tried and look ok. So yes, glass nose but long, not short as the Blenheim 1.

It also a tad bigger than the Blenheim. In size it between the Blenheim and the Wellington.

Need to start thinking about a name and brand. Maybe Vickers Valor? Or Velar?

David aka 63CPE

Tophe

Something like that? :unsure:

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Spitfire_ie.jpg
Anyway, I am going to make a zwilling double version of this one for my twin-boom topic, thanks! <_<

kerick

Tophe I think you are heading in the right direction!
Two Merlins and a glass nose will look great! Will you remove the single fin and add two rudders B-25 style?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

kerick

Perfect! Saved to my aircraft ideas folder.
Hey 63cpe, any other ways we can help?  :thumbsup:
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: 63cpe on June 06, 2022, 09:26:35 PM

Maybe Vickers Valor? Or Velar?

Not Velar, everyone will think it's a tarted up Range Rover.  ;D

In passing (and not many people know this) did you know that the very first batch of prototype Range Rovers had their names on the bonnet (hood...) and tailgate as 'VELAR'. That was because they could use the normal chrome letters  from 'ROVER' swapped around a bit. The 'L' was a 'V' turned on its side.

It's educational here too, as well as fun.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It struck me while following one that someone with access to spare letters could rebadge a LAND ROVER as an ANAL LOVER.  Yes, it was a slow day.

How about Vickers Velour because it's so smooth?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Ah great work Tophe! Thank you very much this helps figuring out how all part combine looks like.

@ Kit: laughing my lungs out about your Range Rover story. Conclusion not Velar (its already close to a rangerover in shape and form so Tarting up is too obvious)

I like Vickers Velour....it's a little slick, but nice...colour scheme is also sorted: burgundy all over and an occasional button on the wings. <_< <_< <_<

Thank you all gentlemen. Happy with the feedback and putting a smile on my face.. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
David aka 63CPE

steelpillow

Quote from: 63cpe on June 06, 2022, 09:26:35 PM
Ok, i'll check how merlins look like on it.  Will check  the engine nacelles from a Lancaster and an early Halifax.

A Mossie would be the obvious reference design.

Indeed, I'd be inclined to snitch its side-by-side canopy as well.

And since the wing cannon will have the props in the way, if not the Merlins glomped directly on top, how about a fighter-bomber using the 4-cannon nose too?
Cheers.

63cpe

So, this is how it starts:

Just a normal 1/48 spitfire. Engine is removed and the back is cut down.
IMG_20220807_145133556 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Lets add some 1/72 components. First up are the engines and a canopy:
IMG_20220807_150451824 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Check the looks from the side:
IMG_20220807_150510791 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

And the front:
IMG_20220807_150529980 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Next up is a turret ( this is testfit with an Halifax turret):
IMG_20220807_160750008 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Next is making moulds for transparencies (A-26C and Ca 310 seem to look the best and fit) and testfit the new transparencies.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe