What if an 1/48 spitfire was turned into a light bomber

Started by 63cpe, June 06, 2022, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Shouldn't the engines be mounted lower on the wing? More like the Merlins on a Mosquito.

Wikipedia image

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on August 07, 2022, 11:36:21 AM
Shouldn't the engines be mounted lower on the wing? More like the Merlins on a Mosquito.

Wikipedia image

I can't disagree with that, it was my first thought on seeing the WiP. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 08, 2022, 08:07:20 AM
Quote from: perttime on August 07, 2022, 11:36:21 AM

I can't disagree with that, it was my first thought on seeing the WiP. :-\
On the other hand, the spitfire wing is placed lower than the Mosquito wing. Seeing the nacelle so much above the wing might just look strange but be perfectly functional.

63cpe

mmmm, mmmmmm. ok. Is it correct propellor engines are placed in front/ underneath the wings because of wing bending issue's? or is it because of thrustline issue's?

I could put them below the wing allright, but would like to understand why.

thanks,
David aka 63cpe

kerick

I think it looks great! Just leave enough room in the nacelle under the wing for main gear and you're in like Flynn.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: 63cpe on August 08, 2022, 10:49:30 AM
mmmm, mmmmmm. ok. Is it correct propellor engines are placed in front/ underneath the wings because of wing bending issue's? or is it because of thrustline issue's?

I could put them below the wing allright, but would like to understand why.

thanks,
David aka 63cpe

It was found to be the best location for reasons related to drag and airflow over the wings, rather than thrustline.

The Westland Whirlwind was low-wing with underslung engines.

63cpe

QuoteIt was found to be the best location for reasons related to drag and airflow over the wings, rather than thrustline.

Ok, but for radial engined propellor this doesn't seem to apply. Radial engines are usually put on the wings at the same level as the cutting edge of the wing (stirling, Wellington, Beaufighter, B-17, B-24). Why shouldn't this apply for radials?

Only the Vickers Wellington MKII had the Merlins above the wing as a result of the nacelle designed for radials. Although there were some initial stability and balance issues these were all sorted with enlargement of the tailplanes.

Any body any thoughts about Inlines above the wings?

David aka 63cpe

Flyer

The twin P-40 concept had it's inline engines above the wing, and almost every modern civil twin I can think of with a low wing has the engines mounted above...

Just go with what you think looks "right" :thumbsup:

BTW I like the look of your Spitfire with the motors over the wing.  ;) :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

tahsin

Ed S

This was my take on the subject from few years ago.  Shown here next to a 1/72 Spitfire.  I did use Griffons since I didn't have any 1/72 Merlins available.  I made molds and vacuformed new canopies and nose.

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

zenrat

Engines (or more importantly props) mounted above the plane of the wing would result in more air being blown across the upper surface of the wing generating more lift resulting in shorter take off run and greater load carrying capacity.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Just to further muddy the waters, the Supermarine Type 327 had them mounted on the midline:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.