The Supermarine Defender F3

Started by PR19_Kit, June 08, 2022, 04:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I think the Defender is a rough Type 520/528.  The latter had either Nene or Tay with larger diameter jetpipe and an afterburner.  First flight 27/03/50.  Returned to experimental workshop 06/05/50, given nosewheel and extended nose to become type 535, first flight  23/08/50.  Should have four 20mm cannons, two in each wing outboard of the flaps.

Look up the 528/535 section in Hygate's British X-planes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

It's got 4 cannon, 2 under the intakes and 2 in the nose, there being no nosewheel of course.

And it does have a fatter engine, but not one of those two.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2022, 06:25:20 AM
It's got 4 cannon, 2 under the intakes and 2 in the nose, there being no nosewheel of course.
Uh, I would prefer zero gun and 4 noseheels but that is just personal. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitnut617

Well I re-read the article I mentioned above and there's no gaps to slide your creation in between Kit.  I hadn't notice the first time I read it, there's an image of a tandem 2-seat trainer version model with a caption that says, 'not much is known of this variant'.  IIRC, wasn't there something on the forum where someone built a model like this.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I think the 2-seater Attacker appeared on Secret Projects and was cross linked here, but I do remember it for sure. Not the prettiest 2-seater to my mind. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yes, you're right, I was just over on SPF and found a bit more about it. Only a display model for an international show and reported on in an Aeroplane issue. Nothing came of it though.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

There were plans for a tandem seat Type 525 trainer, Teach for the Sky has a side view, but as it also had radar it may have been intended for the night fighter role. It looked to have built on the design work for the Attacker Trainer. I've 72nd plans from Secret Projects that I passed to Alistair for possible Gannet kit.

There were plans for a Swift trainer, but it was to be a twin seater rather than tandem and based on the two seat noses for the trainer version of the Type 545, the Type 554.  Again, all documented in Teach for the Sky.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Duh.................  :banghead:

After spending goodness knows HOW long in PSRing and priming the Defender, I finally got to the stage where I was about to apply the first colour coat, and I realised I hadn't chopped the extended leading edge off the starboard wing, as seen in post #54! :(

So I've just sorted that, and superglued the leading edges together prior to filing and sanding them to shape, and THEN PSRing it some more of course!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I often wonder if anyone still uses traditional clothes pegs for their intended purpose anymore, or if it's now become a hobby tool ?  ;D

A gift shop in Croydon sells some medium and small sized wooden ones which are really useful  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 06, 2022, 12:25:14 AM
I often wonder if anyone still uses traditional clothes pegs for their intended purpose anymore, or if it's now become a hobby tool ?  ;D

A gift shop in Croydon sells some medium and small sized wooden ones which are really useful  :thumbsup:

Like the clothes peg, the wire coat hanger its rarely used for its proper purpose.   Wing strengthening, temporary car exhaust fixing, drain unblocking.........I've not seen a shirt hanging on one for quite a while!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Most of my cars have had wire coat hanger radio ariels at some point.

I use plastic clothes pegs for the laundry saving the good wooden ones for the models.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Yes, the springs on good wooden clothes pegs are MILES better than the wimpy ones they have on plastic pegs.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ya know you have bad clothes pegs qhen they snap in half using em for what their for..i cant say ive seen wooden pegs here for yrs ..probably still out there but no idea where.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Not usually seen any generally available either  :-\ Next time I see any for sale I will pick up a pack, just to make sure I have enough and never run out of any.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

I have a brand new unopened pack of wooden pegs stashed away for when I need them.  I think Ikea sell them as they are more environmental than plastic.

The Australian sun kills plastic pegs by leaching out the plasticisers and making them brittle.  Yellow ones snap first for some reason, then red.  I guess the dyes are to blame.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..