Who’s SuE Will This Be? (spoiler alert! It’s a Roo-SuE) COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, June 08, 2022, 09:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: zenrat on June 21, 2022, 05:12:06 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 20, 2022, 07:07:40 AM
I keep forgetting the Tiger. That was a good looking aeroplane with excellent performance and has been overlooked for far too long.

Who else did one in 1/72 besides Hasegawa? The latter now being of the 'Hen's Teeth' variety of course.

The 1/71 Hasegawa Tigers are rare?  I've got two. <smug face>  One of them's the Blue Angels release which must be super rare.   ;D
The main thing I remember about the F-11F is one shot itself down.

See to remember a story of a Hunter that almost shot itself down too.  Low level strafing run and a round ricocheted into the aircraft.  Pretty sure I have a book with a pic of the damage.  Left leading edge I think.  Possible I'm. Is remembering something though.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

perttime

A Harrier was certainly hit by a ricochet during strafing practice. Limped to a runway, as I recall the story.

PR19_Kit

The Tiger fired some 200 mm rounds in a long diving attack and then accelerated in the dive. The rounds didn't however and the aircraft ran into them! The pilot ejected and was OK, the Tiger wasn't...........

There's only two Hase Tigers on UK eBay at the mo, and one of them is in the USA. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think anyone else has, but they did both the short and long nose.  I've got two as well, although one is completed and bashed up and in the spares bin.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

nighthunter

The long nose F11F was the one also used for export
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

But only the USN flew them, in  the RW anyway...........

Looks a lot better with the long nose. Maybe even betterer with longer wings too.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2022, 08:13:45 AM
The Tiger fired some 200 mm rounds in a long diving attack and then accelerated in the dive...

That'll be the ship buster variant with the big gun...   ;D ;D ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2022, 04:51:58 AM
The Tiger fired some 200 mm rounds in a long diving attack and then accelerated in the dive...

Yes, I'll build that variant if and when I find a Tiger kit.

That'll be the F11F-1G. 'G' for GINORMOUS!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 05:52:11 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2022, 04:51:58 AM

Yes, I'll build that variant if and when I find a Tiger kit.

That'll be the F11F-1G. 'G' for GINORMOUS!  ;D

Just to take this to a ludicrous level;

The 200mm recoilless rifle mounted on the F11F-1G, whilst theoretically a balanced system of projectile velocity vs back-blast resulting in a nett-zero effect on the aircraft, failed to take into account the slight but significant effect of the friction of the projectile travelling down the barrel of the weapon. This friction slowed the projectile slightly whilst accelerating the aircraft.

As the weapon was invariably fired whilst the aircraft was in a steep attack dive this guaranteed that, if the pilot continued flying in a straight dive & climb, aircraft & projectile would intersect their paths at some point, leading to the failure to hit the target & a destroyed aircraft, & possibly a dead pilot, almost certainly an injured one.

This led to a manoeuvre called the 1G Flick (or One-Golf-Foxtrot), where the pilot would bank his F11F-1G to either the left or right before pulling out of the dive, often resulting in pilots watching an almost 8" diameter projectile swoop past their wing tip as they pulled up & the projectile continued on to its target.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

;D ;D

I've built a couple of the Hasegawa kits, both Wifs, and from memory it's a nice little kit.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

LOVE it!  :wub: :thumbsup:

That's the backstory done and dusted, all I need now is the kit and somewhere to hang that MASSIVE great gun on it!  ;D :o

Regards
Kit

Gary F

AD,  how's that SuE coming along?  That is the Kinetic kit correct?

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Gary F on June 22, 2022, 09:08:15 PM
AD,  how's that SuE coming along?  That is the Kinetic kit correct?

Funny you ask, was just about to post an update.

Managed a couple of hours on it tonight.  Yes, the Kinetic kit. Not perfect but an enjoyable build. Not much filler so far, but a lot of careful sanding and dry-fitting.

I was fairly set on the RAN scheme but not I'm wavering. It's still definitely a front runner but looking at some of the profiles posted has the gears turning.  It may be a few more days before we discover who's SuE this is...

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

I don't mind if you go non-RAN, now, as I've ordered the same kit for my own RAN FAA build. ;D

Looking forward to see where you take her! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

A smart looking aeroplane the Etendard, but it is French of course, so you'd expect a certain style.  ;D

Regards
Kit