FBK Gnat X.2 - In Search of Space. Finished Pics pg.4

Started by zenrat, June 11, 2022, 03:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Ultra high altitude research aircraft using the Airfix Red Arrows Gnat (2012 mould) and parts of Hasegawa MiG 23/27s.  Thankfully they resisted the temptation to mould the Gnat in red...

1 Week Gnat - In the Beginning... by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And here is the result of my first day's labours.  Wings are only propped in place to get Kit's juices flowing.   ;D

1 Week Gnat WIP 11-06-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Nice! It could use an extension of the tail, though?  :o

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 11, 2022, 03:11:35 AM
Nice! It could use an extension of the tail, though?  :o

Possibly, but not in a week.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on June 11, 2022, 03:06:22 AM

And here is the result of my first day's labours.  Wings are only propped in place to get Kit's juices flowing.   ;D

LOVE it already.  :wub:

Reminds me of Weaver's Spackman Industries High Altitude Testbed, with equally long wings. :)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Ah yes, I had forgotten that.

Mine will be...
...well lets just say there will be more of it.

Tomorrow i need to find or scratch up some podded rocket motors to claw that last little extra bit of altitude once the tanks feeding LOX into the Orpheus run dry.
Fred

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: zenrat on June 11, 2022, 04:23:40 AM

Tomorrow i need to find or scratch up some podded rocket motors to claw that last little extra bit of altitude once the tanks feeding LOX into the Orpheus run dry.

When I did my Gnat cruise missile a few years ago I used the slipper tanks mounted on the trailing edge as rocket pods.  Would that work with that wing?

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Slipper tanks will become LOX tanks but I have found some Gundam parts which will work as boosters.

Here's where I finished today,  MiG 23/27 horizontal tails added.  Wings should go on tomorrow.  No undercarriage as I want this one in flight mounted on a Hasegawa stand.

1 Week Gnat WIP 12-06-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

Oh look, it's an X-Wing...

1 week Gnat WIP 13-06-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I've rethought the booster rockets ditching most of the Gundam parts.  Instead i've knocked up a couple using 1/48 tanks and bombs.  What little putty it required has been applied.
Fred

zenrat

Paint today.
Followed by realising I had failed to sand one spot of puttying.   :banghead:

:banghead:  this is what happens when you rush.
Fred

Mossie

British Red 5, Nigel Mansell driving?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

I just lost all tomorrows modelling time.
Curse real life.
:banghead:

However, I was looking at this earlier today and thinking "I'm liking this too much to rush it and then regret doing so.  I could get it finished by the deadline but that would mean cutting corners."

So I would like to formally withdraw from the 1WGB.
I will still be finishing it, but with a much more complex paint job then first envisaged and possibly with some custom printed transfers.

Not so much a case of biting off more than I can chew, but more enjoying the chewing so much I don't want to swallow.
:o :unsure:

Chris, can you move this please.

Fred

Dizzyfugu

It looks very cool - and much better than the U-2ish thing that I expected at first!  :thumbsup:

Flyer

Oh so it is actually a X-Wing? I thought that pic was just fooling around while assembling, I guess the title should have been a give away... :rolleyes:

Very cool, looking forward to this one!
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Originally I was just going to glue long wings onto the fuselage but then I realised having hinges would be a way to avoid PSR at the roots.
And then as I started building it I started liking it more and more.

But the reason for pulling out is because time has run out.  We have so many off sick with covid or related issues that i've been called in to do extra hours.
Spending all day Sunday at Model Expo won't help either.

Fred