FBK Gnat X.2 - In Search of Space. Finished Pics pg.4

Started by zenrat, June 11, 2022, 03:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Always the RW getting in the way of WW..huge pain in the arse Fred.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Picked this up again yesterday.
Upper wings needed a lick of the sanding stick followed by some more Tamiya Fine White Primer.  I would have left them as they were as a 1WGB entry but as I now have time...

Next is masking and some colours.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

So basic scheme for this is, as it's a scientific rather than military aircraft, white with orange panels.
White is all over Tamiya primer and I have put of three coats of Vallejo German Orange in the appropriate places.
Rocket boosters are Italian Red.
The Hasegawa MiG wings have engraved panel lines making it easy to hand paint sections in different colours and so what I presume are leading edge slats will get picked out tomorrow.
Also the LOX tanks on the lower wings - these will be blue (French Blue I suppose in keeping with the multinational colour names so far).

I am still hopeful that the wings variable incidence hinges will continue to operate once painted.

Crew I have painted so as they look like they are wearing rudimentary space suits.  I am hoping to pull off making bubble visors from blobs of epoxy tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 29, 2022, 05:41:30 AM
(French Blue I suppose in keeping with the multinational colour names so far).

Just wondering but what would be a British or even English colour ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

I like this Fred..yup im a star wars fan but it dont mean its gotta be that sort of thing..this is original as it gets i think and with Freds painting..yep this will be epic   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 29, 2022, 06:01:41 AM
Quote from: zenrat on June 29, 2022, 05:41:30 AM
(French Blue I suppose in keeping with the multinational colour names so far).

Just wondering but what would be a British or even English colour ?

Lincoln Green

or British Racing Green

;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 29, 2022, 12:55:49 PM

or British Racing Green

Ah yes. I was trying to think of a colour that had "British" as part of the name and forgot that one  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

English white?  Like their underbellies... ;D

I don't have French Blue so I used intermediate Blue as it is similar.  Leading edge slats and some other panels are RLM04 Yellow.

Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 30, 2022, 05:29:00 AM
English white?  Like their underbellies... ;D

I shall ignore that, however there was an English White Terrier, but it's extinct

zenrat

Coming along nicely now i am taking my time.
I should be able to clear it tomorrow.
Fred

zenrat

Gnat crewman.  Not a full space suit but something better than a flight suit in case ejection is required on the edge of space.

Gnat X WIP 01-07-2022 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

zenrat

Cleared today.  Measurements taken for transfers which I will draw up and print.
I put the wings on and managed to break the hinge off on the last one before I got a photo.  Said bad words.  Took them off again and repaired it.  Resisted the temptation to put them back on again and play with them.  Mainly because I suspected I would break a hinge putting them on, playing with them or taking them off again to put the transfers on.
So they now won't go back on again until final assembly.  Which will be hard as I want to put them on and fly it round the shed.  It looks excellent with the wings on if I say so myself.

Put more paint on the boosters.  Needs another coat.
Went to paint the canopy framing using my usual technique and filled the canopy with blu-tac.  Pushed a toothpick into it as I always do to provide a handle and "crack" it split right in the centre.
More bad words were said.  Masking was then added so I could paint the central area between the two crew to hide the crack.  This paint, being gloss white will need at least one more coat, maybe more.
Last thing is the engine nozzles.  I have three Gundam thruster parts from an accessory pack which need painting.  The one for the main engine required a mounting to be scratched up while the two for the boosters will mount straight onto their rear ends.
Fred

NARSES2

Sounds like it was "one of those days" ?  :-\