Hawk T.1 of the Portuguese Air Force

Started by DogfighterZen, June 13, 2022, 06:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Well, i haven't been very active regarding modelling lately so i'm entering the OWGB to change that.
The Airfix 1/72 Hawk T.1 i got at the Malta aviation museum when i was there in 2019, seems like a pretty good kit for this purpose cause if it's anything like the Gnat, it should be a simple and quick build.
As the topic's title says, this one will become a PoAF trainer.

"With the signing of the contract in March of 1980, the first batch of 6 BAe Hawk T.1 was delivered to the PoAF in September of that year.
The Hawk was to become the old T-33A's replacement for advanced pilot training and also added the tactical weapons training capability to the Portuguese training squadrons' missions.
The T-33A had been in service with the PoAF since 1958 and most airframes were showing their age. The increasing difficulty of getting spare parts was gradually cutting the fleet's operational readiness and that meant their time was up.
The PoAF had been looking to renovate most of it's aircraft since the end of the colonial wars in Africa but a very reduced budget allowed by the democratic governments that followed the 1974 Carnation revolution, meant that the intended replacements would have to be reconsidered.
The North American options were the most obvious but, after years of failed negotiations with U.S. based corporations and, with the lifting of the arms sales embargo that was in place during the years of the colonial wars, other windows of opportunity were considered so, in an attempt to further solidify relations with it's oldest military ally, the Portuguese government advised the PoAF Generals to give preference to British made equipment.
Taking the "suggestion", the procurement process lead to the choice of the Hawk as the PoAF's new advanced trainer jet."

So, let's see if i can finish this in time... :rolleyes:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Got it started, at the end of the day, this is what i've got...

Tomorrow's another day... :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Well, i've been working on this little bugger but the kit has a few rough spots. The intakes and airbrake don't fit very well, some sanding and shaping was needed to disguise the resulting steps and gaps.
The Sprue has been helping but i'm finding this recent mix is creating too many bubbles when i apply a thicker coat and this has been causing more PSR sessions than i was expecting.

Anyway, I'm not going to loose too much time trying to make all the seams perfect, just good enough.
Trying to get this fully built tonight so i can have the weekend for paint and decals.

DogfighterZen

So, another failed GB build for me... :banghead:
Can the mods please move this one into the current projects section? It will be finished soon, just needs the landing gear and clear coat so, not much left to do...

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

DogfighterZen

DogfighterZen

So, it's finally done and in the cabinet! Although it took two weeks instead of one, at least it didn't become another stalled build on the bench.
Could be finished to a much higher standard, of course, but this GB was for me, a bit like what it was for Chris(Narses2), something to get me motivated again, as i've been dealing with some work-related issues and that has been killing all my mojo.
Enough waffling, time for the model and without further ado here's the BAE Hawk T.1 of the PoAF.

Well, that's it. Just a simple scheme which was used IRL by a T-6 in 2002 for the PoAF's 50 years festivities.
I've had the Black Cat decals T-6 sheet in the stash for a while and was just waiting for the right opportunity to use them. Being a simple scheme, i thought i'd be able to get it done in a week like i did with the PoAF Gnat of the "Asas de Portugal" i did on the OWGB a few years ago... I just forgot that i was on vacation back then and had plenty of time to do it within the GB's timeframe.
It's not perfect by any means but that's the price i have to pay for trying to rush some things... :rolleyes:
Anyway, i hope you guys like it, i had fun and that's what's important to me. :thumbsup:

Now, time to get that Revell Hunter ready for the upcoming LHC GB...

Old Wombat

Nice work, DfZ! The commemorative scheme is particularly sharp! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Over the Land & Over the Sea" ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Love it!  The blue really suits it.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Never seen a blue Hawk before and that blue is surpurb..im a fan of blue  ;D
Bloody nice build Doggy mate  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

That looks MAGNIFICENT DZ!

Getting on for the smartest looking Hawk ever.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Thank you, gentlemen!  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Glad you like the scheme, it took me a couple of days to decide but i've chosen to leave the normal camo schemes for the Mk.100 and the Mk.200 i've got in the stash.

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 27, 2022, 06:01:10 PM
"Over the Land & Over the Sea" ;)

Yup, that's it, thanks for the translation, Guy! i forgot that bit. :thumbsup:

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 27, 2022, 08:56:24 PM
Love it!  The blue really suits it.   :wub:

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on June 28, 2022, 12:53:07 AM
Never seen a blue Hawk before and that blue is surpurb..im a fan of blue  ;D
Bloody nice build Doggy mate  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 28, 2022, 01:16:17 AM
That looks MAGNIFICENT DZ!

Getting on for the smartest looking Hawk ever.  :thumbsup:

Yup, blue is also one of my favorite colors, especially the darker shades.  :thumbsup: I've seen some really cool schemes on RAF Hawks. I also like the black ones a lot but the blue also suits it well. That blue is Tamiya's X-4, thinned with what has to be a magic liquid, Mr. Color leveling thinner. That stuff really is amazing, it sprays so smooth and levels the paint down much better than with Tamiya's X-20A, for example. It also seems to smooth out any blemishes there may be on a previous paint/varnish coat. I now understand why so many folks on FB call it Unicorn tears... ;D

P.S.: Just noticed that i forgot to paint the navigation lights... :o :banghead:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.