Spitfire Mk IId

Started by NARSES2, June 13, 2022, 07:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've got at least one of all the Paul Lucas mastered Airwaves conversions for the PR Spits that they did ages ago. They're superbly done, of course, but I've just never got round to building most of them.

So silly. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Colin gave me a bagful of bits which made up that lot, including canopy blanks for moulding.  Still haven't got round to using them but there's plenty of old tool mk Ia kits stashed to use up.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

Imagine this..a German spy infiltrates the British aircraft industries especially the Supermarine company..spends yrs working and collecting information on the different types of Spitfires.
Now imagine how much fun it would be being a fly on the wall as he trys to explain the variants  :lol:
Considering how bloody confused it seems to be now  ..it would have been a nightmare back then .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

royabulgaf

I don't think the small "d" was used in an actual PR designation, as the PR designation presumed there were no wing guns.    There was also a stillborn "d" wing designation proposed for the 6x .303 wing- twelve guns total for a planned MkIII variant.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

PR19_Kit

The PR Spitfire suffix system had no connection whatever with the normal fighters. The 'd' in this case was used for the fourth version of PR Mk 1s, previously PR. IVs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Progress is slow, but it's progress  :thumbsup:

She's been primed and the undersides are now painted. Been a busy week socially, and continues to be so, but all being well topside colours will go on next week.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Sweet Chris  ;D cant wait to see it .
I dont know if ya said so but is it getting invasion stripes or is it a later variant? .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2022, 03:06:50 AM
The PR Spitfire suffix system had no connection whatever with the normal fighters. The 'd' in this case was used for the fourth version of PR Mk 1s, previously PR. IVs.

You make a very good point, Kit. The early photo-recce Spitfire designations officially used 'PR' as a suffix.  Following type designation tidying up the designation system used prefixes (F, LF, HF, FR, PR, ASR and Tr).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on June 25, 2022, 01:34:58 PM
Sweet Chris  ;D cant wait to see it .
I dont know if ya said so but is it getting invasion stripes or is it a later variant? .

Nope, May 1941.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Ahhh there will no stripes there then ..makes no never mind ..still looking forward to this and i think theres gonna be a Spit in my future.strangely my mum wants me to get one as she grew up in Kent and they flew over her house  ;D

DogfighterZen

Following this for sure, it's a Spitfire and with bigger guns...  :mellow: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Very little done, as explained elsewhere, but I did get the undersides masked up so once my body and brain start co-operating again I can start on getting the upper surfaces painted.

NARSES2

Progress  :thumbsup:

She's painted and I got the transfers on over the last couple of days  :thumbsup: Took four sessions, one for the main set of markings and three for the stencils. I quite often don't do stencils, but I was obviously in the right mood this time and also I tackled them systematically which made a difference I think ?

So just some final bits to attach, matt varnish and then photo session. So hopefully this week ?

Wardukw

Really looking forward to seeing this Chris..hopefully ill add a Spitfire to my pile this week .

NARSES2

Well hopefully should have photos tomorrow, the dignitaries are gathering for the "Installation of the Propeller" ceremony and once that is concluded I can call her finished. I'm quite happy with her, just need to cobble a backstory together now.