J2M3 RAIDEN ASH DRAGON

Started by Amenofys, June 15, 2022, 03:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amenofys

Hello everyone.

My current project is a J2m3 Raiden with custom paint scheme and homemade decals. I did it a while ago with a Hasegawa J2m 1/72 and, despite being very new to modelling, I was very pleased with the look of the plane.

Now I am a bit more skilled and will try the same thing with a 1/48 Tamiya Raiden. The mold is from the 70's and has raised and engraved panel lines (I'll erase and rewrite the raised ones) but the fit is good and easy to assemble.

Project preview:

Amenofys

Engraving done.
I have added new and higher caliber cannons.

Wardukw

Youve done what i like to do with my planes..fitting bigger guns  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Neat work on the cannon  :thumbsup: and I do like the projected scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

The Raiden is a great looking subject - and, YES, the scheme should be good  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Amenofys

Fuselaje painted with XF-76 mixed with white and a bit of fluid aid. A light chipping added and "post-shading" applied with my trusty set of cheap makeup. (sorry, no airbrush here).

Wardukw

Dude that looks great..lovely weathering and the chipping looks very good.. :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Amenofys

I would like to place the cockpit open. The only extra detail I've put on it is an Eduard seat belts set, and the Raiden's canopy is huge and offers a pretty good view of the interior. However, I find the models with the open cockpit more realistic.

The point is that it would be the first time that I cut a canopy and I don't have spare parts. So I'm pretty scared to do it.

Do any of you have experience with this? Saw, cutter, engraver + snap?

Thank you all.

NARSES2

For cutting the canopy use a razor saw with as many teeth per inch as you can get. I've also put masking tape over where I'm going to cut in the past and then cut "through" that and then into and through the canopy.

However before you cut it you may need to consider whether the "sliding" portion that you cut out will actually seat neatly over the rear fixed portion or will just "perch" on top of it ?

It's looking really good  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Chris is right ..a super fine razor saw and the tape will help stop it cracking and heres another tip..be gental as hell with your cutting pressure..take your time do not rush the cut ..but as Chris ponted out..check to see how it fits ..models with opened canopys take into accordance the cockpit ..closed cockpits dont.
Heres another little trick to cutting soft plastic...when ya cutting it cut it under a running tap of cold water..it will keep the cut clean and act as a lubricant .

Amenofys

Thanks for the tips, Narses2 and Wardukw. :thumbsup:

Wardukw