Main Menu

BAC P.1121

Started by The Wooksta!, June 17, 2022, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I've been musing for some time on a BAC answer to the Hawker P.1121, using various EE projects, all the right bits, but not necessarily in the right order, to create another strike fighter to complement TSR2

So, the fuselage is an Olympus engined P.6 (although here a Leoman Su-11 fuselage stands in for it) with the maingears from the P.8.  Wing and fin from TSR2, tailplanes from Tornado, although I'll be removing the leading edge kink.  Finally, a Hunter T bird front end but reshaped and fitted with a Lightning T4/5/55 canopy.

It looks right, although I think the wings are a bit too large.  I may do some CAD* work tomorrow to get a better size.  Length is similar to a Maintrack P.1121, so it's definitely the right size, and given that was to have been powered by an Olympus, this wouldn't be underpowered.  As it is, the P.1121 had mid fuselage mounted wings, which gave a weight penalty.  As this has the engine underneath the spars, there should be less weight.  I'm sure Kit could tell us more here.

So, without more ado, here are your photos.

The whole thing as she stands.  The wing looks too big, or is it just me?  Think it should really be smaller for better gust response at low level.  Perhaps taking off the tips might help?  Could fit some 'winders for self defense.  Nah, Firestreaks.

More of a side view so you see the u/c in relation to the rest of it.  That gaping chasm behind the cockpit needs some considerable filling.

Wingless, you get a better view of the fuselage and just how much sodding filling it'll need behind the cockpit, even with the spine back in place.  The fin?  Oh, that'll be getting the chop.  I'll keep the bit above the exhaust, as it's ideal as a radar warning receiver.
The tailplanes do need modifying, but they will have some anhedral as seen on most 60s BAC projects.

Better view of the nose section.  Whilst wooden cocktail sticks may be the future for nosegears, here they are just useful props.  I'll probably go for a twin nosegear as I know I have some spares.

The Lightning canopy will fit, but some surgery may be required somewhere.  Also gives a better view of how much filling this area will need.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

I like this Lee...mish mash builds are great fun and this being another verison of thr TSR2 is even better..that was such a attractive plane and this will be too..in its own way  :lol:
Trust me matey im all to familiar with filling right now..had to do a crap load on the Python.
Looking forward to this  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

TBH, I thought it looked right even before the wing was offered up to it.  A mate of mine agrees too.  I did look at putting the tandem hunter nose on it as I have one to hand but it didn't look quite right.

I think I'll cast another wing tomorrow when I do the fin.  Even if I don't use it here, there's a resin TSR2 fuselage assembled that is shy of a wing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Wardukw

Oh good job on not going with the side by side cockpit mate..to narrow at the front and to wide in the cockpit..nope good decision .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

I am sticking with the side by side, but I've got some cast front ends based on that one which are somewhat more modifyable .  I like the side by side look, mainly because it isn't like other British projects of the time.  The proposed naval version of Hawker's P.1121 had twin seats rather than tandem.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

I dunno, mate. The TSR wings.. It just doesn't look right to me. Too big? The twin front does look great, though.
But never mind my whining. Get on with it in your way, and I might very well come to terms with it as it gets more complete.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

I'll get some shares in filler and abrasives...

;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

I take it that this is a pure what-if rather than a project cancelled build.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Quantum theory states that if you can imagine it, it will exist in one of the infinite parallel universes (hopefully, there's one where Ed Sheeran was told he was crap and not given a record contract.  Sadly that's not the case here and my ears are repeatedly raped by his music, and that of his poundland copycat, Lewis Capaldi).

Yes, it's a whiff.

Having looked again at the wings and compared them to a Lightning, they're roughly the same size.  I think I'll be keeping them.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 18, 2022, 02:29:22 PM.

Having looked again at the wings and compared them to a Lightning, they're roughly the same size.  I think I'll be keeping them.

I think you should. I'm much looking forward to be proven wrong in my opinion in this matter, so please do carry on!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Like it, but wonder how it would look with the wings mounted mid fuselage?  To me that might look good, but more surgery required.  Will be watching.  Like the side-by-side cockpit. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Wooksta!

There's a weight penalty for it, because you have to have a large casting round the engine/ducting to join the wing spars to, rather than a continuous spar to hang the engine from.  Hawker did the former with the P.1121.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

Here's the current state of play with the BAC 1121.

Fuselage together and the gaping hole at the top is for the wing.  It's a bit floppy, so some stiffness has been added here and there, plus some locator tabs.

Another view.  There's some planking to fill the gap where the fin has been hacked off.

Part of a Matchbox Hunter fuselage, with some stiffeners.  The forward module plugs into this.

As if by magic...  Wing dry fitted and the cockpit module is taped in,  strategically hidden by the wing.

A better view of the cockpit module.  A resin copy of the Matchbox T-bird front end I did years back.  It's had some modification to take the Lightning T5 canopy, but I'll have to build up to it and at the rear to fair it in properly.

Module above intake.  You can see by all the gaping chasms that this area is going to be  pain to fill.  Also shows how much I'll need to build up to the canopy.  The whole blunt nose is getting cut off.  I have a nice pointy radome to replace it with.

View of the planking to deepen the fuselage up to the maingear module.  I've managed to sort of the nosegear bay, but it'll need boxing in a bit later.

Another top view.

Better views of the planking sans u/c module.

Stop - Filler time!

More filler!  Bring me more filler!

Hopefully, I can get sanding on this soon.  I see lots of dust in my future.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

AeroplaneDriver

What kind of putty do you use?  I'm buying shares next week!   ;)

Seriously though, the fairing behind the cockpit really helps the look of the high mounted wing.  Watching with interest. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Looks like a whole lot of work there Lee. And good work too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit