USS United States carrier in US flag dazzle camouflage.

Started by seadude, June 20, 2022, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 23, 2022, 12:08:04 AM
I admire your ambition sir  :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'd call it ambition on my end.
Maybe more like completely daft and bonkers and needing a straight jacket and an insane asylum kind of model project.  ;D ;D ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Quote from: seadude on June 23, 2022, 05:57:55 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 23, 2022, 12:08:04 AM
I admire your ambition sir  :thumbsup:

I don't know if I'd call it ambition on my end.
Maybe more like completely daft and bonkers and needing a straight jacket and an insane asylum kind of model project.  ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like the perfect description of "ambition" in this field of endeavour. ;D ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 22, 2022, 12:38:43 PM
With deck-edge lifts that rotate lengthwise into their stealthy positions, like the carrier in the middle pic, how long will it take before someone presses the wrong button and slings an F-18 into the hanger ballistically?  :-\ :banghead:

Never, because it's a fantasy that'll not be built.  ;) ;D :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: seadude on June 22, 2022, 11:58:21 AM
Yeah, I get what everybody is saying, especially from sandiego89. This will be a monster build that will take time to do it right. :(
As for the "look" of the ship itself without the painting, like I said, I am going to heavily modernize it into a early to mid 21st century stealthy carrier. A brand new futuristic USS United States CVN-90. Stealthy by means of angled island structure, new flight deck catwalks, and so much more. My model will NOT be a trimaran carrier as seen in the below pics. These are pics I found that are simply giving me ideas as to how I may modify the island superstructure plus other odds and ends.

These pictures make me think of the 21st century battleship l've been thinking of.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

seadude

I think I'm going to back off on painting a carrier hull red, white, and blue like the American flag. Might be too much work.
So now I'm thinking instead of just painting the flight deck only to look like an American flag. Thoughts on this?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

As I mentioned in my post above, this is what I was thinking of.
Just paint the flight deck only to look like an American flag.
Of course, the next problem would be all the regular flight deck markings.
If I added those on top of the "Flag", then the markings will make the flag look weird and obscure the stripes and stars.

sandiego89

Maybe align the red and white stripes with the angled deck so the prominent angled deck markings can be incorporated into the design. Don't want to confuse the aviators with more white stripes. Putting the required deck markings needed for realistic operations would likely ruin your effect.

In practice it would only look good for a short while, with the landing area getting especially discolored with tail hook scrapes, rubber, exhaust, fuel spills....and much of it would be hidden under parked aircraft. So maybe as a commissioning or post drydocking special photo op scheme, but not as a operational scheme.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

seadude

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 26, 2022, 10:53:07 AM
Maybe align the red and white stripes with the angled deck so the prominent angled deck markings can be incorporated into the design. Don't want to confuse the aviators with more white stripes. Putting the required deck markings needed for realistic operations would likely ruin your effect.

In practice it would only look good for a short while, with the landing area getting especially discolored with tail hook scrapes, rubber, exhaust, fuel spills....and much of it would be hidden under parked aircraft. So maybe as a commissioning or post drydocking special photo op scheme, but not as a operational scheme.

If I did the paint scheme, I agree that it would not be any "operational" scheme. I would only do it as some sort of "ceremonial" type scheme. And if I had any aircraft on deck, I'd probably limit the amount to a dozen or so, but park them in an organized way so that they're not blocking too much of the flag underneath.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kerick

I still like your first idea of the red, white and blue dazzle pattern. That would look awesome on anything.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise