Done :- The Supermarine Swift F10

Started by PR19_Kit, June 21, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Hunter tailplanes aren't all that much bigger than the Swift ones, and the sweep angle doesn't match the wing either. Scratching up a new pair would work better I reckon.

The Red Tops are staying, a) 'cos I like Red Tops and b) 'cos I have some handy and I don't have any Firestreaks (yet...).

Applying Kit's 2nd law, 'The F10s had the electronics for the Red Tops in the front end  of the large, under belly fuel tank';D

Sorted.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

If you can find it ..make it..Wardukws 5th rule  ;D
Scratching up i reckon is your best bet Kit..its not the easiest way but its probably the only you'll get what you want..yup total agreement here with ya  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 30, 2022, 01:56:08 PM
The Hunter tailplanes aren't all that much bigger than the Swift ones, and the sweep angle doesn't match the wing either. Scratching up a new pair would work better I reckon.

The Red Tops are staying, a) 'cos I like Red Tops and b) 'cos I have some handy and I don't have any Firestreaks (yet...).

Applying Kit's 2nd law, 'The F10s had the electronics for the Red Tops in the front end  of the large, under belly fuel tank';D

Sorted.

Assuming the aircraft is well balanced, longer wings for better performance at altitude doesn't necessarily mean you have to increase the control areas. Look at the RB-57F, f.i that got a (much) bigger tail but kept her stabilisators.

Re the electronics - I'm not so sure the Red Top associated electronics wouldn't fit. Looking at the Lightning, the arms packs were equally big for both types of missiles, and with some tweaking, I think it should work without taking too much of that blob in consideration.

But I might be wrong, Lee is usually annoyingly well read up, and heck - it's whifworld anyway..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

IMO the vertical tail needs moving backwards.
;D

Supermarine Swift - 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on July 01, 2022, 12:46:44 AM

and heck - it's whifworld anyway..  ;)

EXACTLY!  :thumbsup:

I now do have some Firestreaks (see my stash increase post...) so maybe I'll hang two Firestreaks outboard and two Red Tops inboard.

Now THAT should get some rude comments for sure.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Red Top and Firestreak were interchangeable, as the former was based on the latter. Certainly on the Lightning F3, T5 and F6.
Electronics for Firestreak were in the lower fuselage pack where the pylons went and it was detachable. The electronics for Red Top went elsewhere, IIRC where the guns were in the earlier marks, which is why the earlier marks and the rebuilt F2As never carried Red Top. I think the later marks had the electronics for both missiles hence why they could carry both types of missile.

There was a proposal for Hunters to carry a pair of Firestreaks along the fuselage, with the Lightning style missile pack being interchangeable with the ADEN gunpack.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

A Hunter with Firestreaks sounds like a good modelling prospect, even for the current GB.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

There's one unfinished from last year. I just need a set of decent Firestreaks.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 01, 2022, 04:36:26 AM

There was a proposal for Hunters to carry a pair of Firestreaks along the fuselage, with the Lightning style missile pack being interchangeable with the ADEN gunpack.

Sounds like a plan to pinch. Any markings for me to stay clear of?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

I haven't even thought that far. I have others to worry about before I get to it.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

PSR on the Swift is done and it's now primed.

I still have to extend the tailplanes, and I'm not sure how to do that. Either chop the old ones off and scratch some new ones, or do my usual thing and add some tips to the old ones? I'm tending toward the latter, at least I have some experience with that method.  ;D

Then comes the colour coats, and I'm REALLY in a quandary with that. Originally I was going to arm it with 4 x Red Tops, but they seem to be a tad advanced for a Swift, so I mentally switched to Firestreaks, except I don't have enough of them, so the idea of a mixed load appeared. One Firestreak and one Red Top, not as an operational aircraft but as a trials machine, like an advanced F7, which did the same thing with the Fireflash..

The backstory would say something like Their Airships were worried that at the very high altitudes that interceptions would likely take place, that there was a possibility that the Sun's IR might confuse the poor missles, so an ultra-high altitude version of the Swift F7 was ordered and carried out trials to test this theory at Llanbedre, and elsewhere. As such the model will carry a Firestreak on one side and a Red Top on the other, with some camera and instrumentation pods on the outer wing pylons.

(Kit's 2nd Law applies.................  ;))

But then I'll have to invent a Trials Flight colour scheme.

Hmmmmm.........................

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I have a couple of sets of decals from the AZ MB.5 Special schemes which have the Black and White quartered circlues on them, yours if you want them.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Thanks Alastair, but I have a sheet of them that I drew up for your namesake already (but with an 'i'....)

They'd shout 'TRIALS' at you for sure, wouldn't they? I wonder if mini versions of them would look good on the missiles themselves?

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:06:00 PM

They'd shout 'TRIALS' at you for sure, wouldn't they? I wonder if mini versions of them would look good on the missiles themselves?

Most certainly
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:06:00 PM
Thanks Alastair, but I have a sheet of them that I drew up for your namesake already (but with an 'i'....)

I am sure that has been done for some ordinance.

There are multiple different spellings of Alastair, I worked for a company where there were three Alastairs and each of us had a different spelling as well. It made sending emails an act of precision.

Gondor