Done :- The Supermarine Swift F10

Started by PR19_Kit, June 21, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

When I do paint something with the Dark Sea Grey I will see how it compairs to my F-4M which was done in Humbrol paint. So maybe later when I get around to painting the Hunter?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I'm sure that Hataka got it wrong (for once...) that I've ordered some Mr. Colour DSG. Should be here by Tuesday.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Hataka made a right balls up i think to Kit cause even with my eye colour problems it looks more blue than anything else and compared to Alastairs models it dont even look close.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

That Hataka paint is a nice shade of blue...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

This confusion is why it's best to ignore fickle reviewers and interweb forums with regard to new paints as they change their opinions as often as they change their undercowies.  I've used Xtracrylix since 2005 and all my stuff has never had shade issues.

Find one you're happy with and stick to it, then ignore everyone else.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I 've loved all the Hataka stuff I've used so far, so I'm surprised they made such a hash of this one. :(

Still waiting for the Gunze Sangyo shipment..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 19, 2022, 04:33:46 AM

Find one you're happy with and stick to it, then ignore everyone else.

Totally agree Lee  :thumbsup:

I still use Xtracrylic for my RAF builds as I've a lot of it. Gradually moving to Hataka's Blue range for others, especially some of the more less well represented air forces  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 17, 2022, 01:00:49 PM
This is the colour it should be, as depicted by my Gloster Lance. That paint was Mr. Colour Dark Sea Grey.

It's nothing like the Hataka version. :(

Now I just may have that pot of Mr. Colour with me, fingers crossed.....

LIKE IT!
Will die without understanding this world.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

This paint problem is not the first ive seen ..my flat Tamiya varnish isnt flat ..its all over the place..glossed there..flat there and semi gloss in other places and it seems paint for real big things aint much better.
I did some rust repairs on a guys truck here..when it came to painting i just used cans..not a big repair..used the same brand for everything ..Duplicolour..did everything ya ment to..prepped..primed..wet sanded..cleaned ..colour..clear coat..orange peel everywhere..not happy that day...clear coat destroyed it all..redid it all again with VHT ..no problems at all.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

The Gunze Sangyo Dark Sea Grey arrived this morning, so I re-painted the grey parts of the fin and tailplane of the Swift...................

It seems there are TWO 'Dark Seagreys' in the Gunze Sangyo paint list, #25 and #75, and I needed #75.

Guess which one I've got?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is really driving me nuts, you'd have thought it was pretty simple getting the RIGHT colour paint, wouldn't you? Oh no, it's turned into an investigative procedure to find out what the paint companies mean when they write down the name! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  :angry:

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2022, 08:39:47 AM
you'd have thought it was pretty simple getting the RIGHT colour paint, wouldn't you?
:unsure: Uh, sorry: I disagree, because in the whif universe everything is right, or nothing is right which is equivalent expressed differently. There is no "right or wrong", everything may be fantasy. Without punishment of what realists call wrong, different from their holy Real world, they are fanatics of it but theoretically we are different, I hope so.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

I was looking at my Hataka collection of paint which is not extensive, the Dark Sea Grey I have is BS Dark Sea Grey from Modern Royal Airforce Paint Set Vol2. The Label on the bottle says B144 BS Dark Sea Grey (BS381C:638) and could well be the one your after.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

That's the one I've already got Alastair, the over dark one that I showed in the pic in post #38.

I suppose they could have filled the bottle with the wrong paint for the set I've got though.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Kit have ya tried to tone it down with white or light gray ?
With a little bit of playing around you should end up with the colour you want and it wont cost more money..only a wee bit of time .