Done :- The Supermarine Swift F10

Started by PR19_Kit, June 21, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I tried that on the Lance build and it was rubbish. OGL saved the day there by coming up with a pot of the correct DSG, but I didn't know there were TWO of them.

I've got some of the correct stuff coming now, along with 5 pots of other colours that I know I'll need pretty soon.  It'll just take time to do, goodthing the Swift isn't part of a GB.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2022, 11:04:35 AM
That's the one I've already got Alastair, the over dark one that I showed in the pic in post #38.

I suppose they could have filled the bottle with the wrong paint for the set I've got though.

Not used it yet so I can't comment on the colour I have unfortunately.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: Tophe on July 20, 2022, 09:33:18 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2022, 08:39:47 AM
you'd have thought it was pretty simple getting the RIGHT colour paint, wouldn't you?
:unsure: Uh, sorry: I disagree, because in the whif universe everything is right, or nothing is right which is equivalent expressed differently. There is no "right or wrong", everything may be fantasy. Without punishment of what realists call wrong, different from their holy Real world, they are fanatics of it but theoretically we are different, I hope so.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Thanks zenrat. ;)
But we let the poor modeller fight with the exact color if this is very important for him, of course. <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Of course.
We each have something we care to get right and let no-one make us neglect it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

I'm almost losing the will to live over this Swift.  :banghead: I'm CERTAINLY losing the will to paint!  :-\

The Gunze Sangyo #75 Dark Sea Grey paint that arrived today is EXACTLY the same shade as the #25 pot that I had a week ago. And yet it's a totally different colour on their colour charts!

So I went through all the greys I've got here, picked one that looked about right, without any reference to its actual title, and I've used it on the model. There's so many coats of paint on the model it'll be 1/48 scale by the time it's finished!

Kit's 2nd Law will apply, obviously.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Wardukw

Nobody on this channel is a rivet counter but we'll get a colour scheme in our heads and we want to stick it to..i did that with the Python and lile poor ol Kit things didnt go as planned and it annoyed the hell out of me ..thats why i asked you guys your opinions..seems i was wrong  ;D
Tell ya Kit but that looks pretty sweet mate ..those colours work together very nicely  :thumbsup:
With markings it will look so good  and tie it all together prefectly  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

It's a lot closer to the proper colour than it was with any of the previous attempts. Just a little too light for the proper shade I think, but I can love with it.

And it is a Trials Unit aircraft anyway, and they always made up their own rules.  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on July 22, 2022, 11:01:33 PM
Nobody on this channel is a rivet counter but we'll get a colour scheme in our heads and we want to stick it to..i did that with the Python and lile poor ol Kit things didnt go as planned and it annoyed the hell out of me ..thats why i asked you guys your opinions..seems i was wrong  ;D
Tell ya Kit but that looks pretty sweet mate ..those colours work together very nicely  :thumbsup:
With markings it will look so good  and tie it all together prefectly  <_<

Maybe i'm lucky.  I will get a look in my head for a build but it rarely includes colours.  Not explicit shades anyway.

Although having said that i always envisage RAF temperate land colours as the green and brown i used on my builds as a kid which were nothing like reality.
Fred

Wardukw

I do remember when i was a kid that if the colour was close and i had it then sweet but i never liked painting sliver aircraft cause all i had was good ol Humbrol 11 Met Sliver which never seemed to dry and there was no varnishes back in them days so there ya go id paint them in matt colours and that i suppose was my first ever step into wiffy builds..it didnt take long tho for it to go much further than that.
And yes Fred my good mate you are lucky cause most times its a massive pain in the arse  ..my next big plane build it will be sliver but mulitable shapes and its acrylic  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Probably not the best background on which to show off the Hataka paint but this is what the contents of the bottle I have looks like.

Matchbox Canberra PR.9 upper wing surface

The paint almost looks as if its a matt version of the colour of the plastic  :o

And here is some on a Hunter wing which will shows the difference more clearly

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Getting back on the Swift F10 now, and I've printed off the special decals for it, which look pretty good.

For reasons unknown the lovely clear canopy looks like it's been pebble dashed with clear varnish though! I have no idea how that happened and it looks irrecoverable, sad to say. :(

I'm heading home for a few days on Monday so I'll pick up one of my other Swift FR5s (I've got at least 3 more....), cut off the F10s canopy and replace it it. Then repaint etc.

The FR5 will become an earlier version with the part metal canopy from one of the Ally Cat conversions I expect.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2022, 01:39:14 PM
I'll pick up one of my other Swift FR5s (I've got at least 3 more....), cut off the F10s canopy and replace it it
uh? several F5s becomong a F10? that looks like F5+F5=F5 zwilling = F10, good! ;)

PR19_Kit

I levered off the canopy, easy enough to do with Glue & Glaze as the adhesive, and tried to polish it smooth. Didn't work worth a light, so I'll bring a new canopy back with me next week, or probably the whole kit.

Looking closely at the F10, it looks like the whole aeroplane is pebble dashed too!  :banghead:

I suppose I could try a light sanding but I'm less than keen on that. It looks OK from about 2 feet away though.

Regards
Kit