Done :- The Supermarine Swift F10

Started by PR19_Kit, June 21, 2022, 02:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As the Defender is Pt 1 of my 'The Swift really worked' alternative history, here's Pt IV, or maybe V.....  ;D

Having proved the Swift an able guided weapons carrier with the Fireflash armed F7, the F8 was the RAF's higher powered Firestreak armed fighter of the early 60s, but as the Lightning took over the main interception tasks later in that period the Swifts were relegated to ground attack and other secondary tasks. However, as the Lightning only carried two Firestreaks attention was turned to up-arming the Swifts by doubling their missile carrying capacity, the later F8A being able to carry four Firestreaks and were used to back up the Lightning force.

The later introduction of the 'all aspect' Red Top missile gave the Supermarine team an opportunity to upgrade the Swift F8A with an upgraded radar, a longer span (what a surprise...) and a taller fin to produce the ultimate Swift airframe, the F10.

In model form this is an Airfix Swift FR5 (MUCH better than the Xtrakit offering of the same version!) an Alley Cat's Swift F7 conversion, an Alley Cat's Sea Vixen Red Top upgrade set, some styrene sheet and some imagination, supplied by me.  ;D

So far I've built the Swift's cockpit, which fits a treat but is pretty complicated, and done all the inotial stuff before chopping off the PR nose, the point of no return for this build of course.

Pics later tomorrow I expect.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Here's the source material, the Airfix Swift FR5 and the Alley Cat Swift F7 conversion, and the Red Tops appear in the second pic as well.

A tape-up build to check how much nose weight would be required, and amazingly it's none! I thought the resin nose would leave no room for any at all, whereas the hollow PR nose (which is now surplus to requirements...........  ;)) would have enabled some Liquid Gravity to be poured in place, but the main wheels are so far back that it won't need any at all. Result!

It's a very nice feeling putting the Airfix Swift together, it's very well engineered compared to the Xtrakit offering. Some parts seem as if they just WON'T fit at first, and then after a little wriggling there's a 'click' and they slot into place.  :thumbsup: The rear jet pipe being a case in point, along with the cockpit-nose wheel bay assemblies. They fit perfectly and only really need a touch of glue to ensure they don't fall out of position whilst you're assembling other parts.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

And Lee wondered why I didn't want to have any more dealings than I must with the Xtrakit Swift.  :rolleyes:

I do have both in my stash, the Xtrakit one to be made into a two seater I think, and the unbuild Airfix Swift to be OOB. I have built two of the Airfix ones, One as a RedTop armed F.7 derived fighter and the other as a Sweedish FR.5 for a One Week Group Build a few years ago. They are a dream to build  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The Airfix bits of the Swift go together without a sign of a glue seam, no PSR needed at all.  ;D

On the other hand, the Alley Cat nose is a tad too small in diameter when cut on the lines they suggest, so it'll need some PSR to fair it into the Airfix bits later on, but it's an impressively sized nose nonetheless.  :o

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Just call it Mr Durante  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

The F10 now has its (inevitable...  ;)) wing extensions in place, but they'll need some PSR of course.

The extended fin has yet to be fitted, mainly because I can't figure out how to saw the tip off with the tailplanes still attached....  :banghead:

I had a small amount of PSR to do around the nose, and a MINISCULE amount elsewhere.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2022, 07:02:00 AM

I can't figure out how to saw the tip off with the tailplanes still attached....  :banghead:

1) Sit at a free standing table at the left end of a side.

2) Place a cutting matt on the table so that the left side and the bottom match the edges of the table top

3) Hold a saw in your right hand and the model in your left hand with the belly of the aircraft to the left and the fin pointing to the right

4) Cut the tip of the fin off

You may need to change where exactly you sit for comfort. To makes cuts into alternate sides have either the nose of the aircraft towards you or away from you.

Hope that helps  ;D :thumbsup:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Trying to do it without snapping the tailplane off is the problem. It always seems to shuffle into the edge of the table. :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I should have also mentioned that you need to keep the tailfin flat on the cutting matt. Pressing the model against the side of the table should also help with that.
This kind of situation is always at least a three hand job.  :-\

Gondor

Alternatively if your just removing the top of the tail to extend it, just use snips and a file! You can always add a larger length of plastic if needed.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2022, 08:27:42 AM
It's off now............

I do hope your talking about the fin top on the model  :rolleyes:  :thumbsup:  ;D

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Th wing and fin extensions have been cut, PSR'd and glued in place. Lots more PSR will needed of course, but it'll looking a bit more as I intended it to now.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The F7 had fully flying slab tailplanes, and with the extended wing, I'd extend the tailplanes too. Replace with Hunter ones?

Personally, I'd have gone with Firestreak* rather than Red Top as I doubt there's the space for the electronics plus radar in the nose.  F7 was designed around beam riding Fireplaces.

*With my Swift F7, I did, although it only got a pair. The next one gets a full quartet.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 30, 2022, 11:15:46 AM

Personally, I'd have gone with Firestreak* rather than Red Top as I doubt there's the space for the electronics plus radar in the nose.  F7 was designed around beam riding Fireplaces.

*With my Swift F7, I did, although it only got a pair. The next one gets a full quartet.

That's what I put on mine

Gondor

Wardukw

Loven the longer wings ..PSR time put to good use and Lee is right mate..longer tail planes are definitely needed ..its out of balance and it would look way cooler  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .