"Caçador" - Hawker Hunter in the PoAF - FINISHED - PAG.7

Started by DogfighterZen, June 28, 2022, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

DfZ, you have to really mix Tamiya flat paints well, if you're going to brush paint with them. It, also, doesn't hurt to thin them a bit with isopropyl alcohol (if you can get it).

However, as you were putting decals over it, it's probably a good thing that it came out glossy, otherwise no matter how much Micro Sol (or similar) you used they would have come out silvered, as matt Tamiya pretty-much refuses to allow decals to bed down.

Cockpit looks good, for "little" scale. :thumbsup: ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

It's a pretty good cockpit, one of the best 1/72 jet ones around, apart from that blasted panel decal!

I wonder if those Yahu guys do a 3D panel for it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 10, 2022, 07:34:56 PM
DfZ, you have to really mix Tamiya flat paints well, if you're going to brush paint with them. It, also, doesn't hurt to thin them a bit with isopropyl alcohol (if you can get it).

However, as you were putting decals over it, it's probably a good thing that it came out glossy, otherwise no matter how much Micro Sol (or similar) you used they would have come out silvered, as matt Tamiya pretty-much refuses to allow decals to bed down.

Cockpit looks good, for "little" scale. :thumbsup: ;)

Thanks, Guy!  :thumbsup:
Yes, you're right. I've tried putting IP decals on matt Tamiya paint and sure enough, it didn't let the decals conform properly. I didn't thin it, probably one of the reasons it came out glossy. No worries, i believe that an airbrushed matt coat will do the trick. :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:22:29 AM
It's a pretty good cockpit, one of the best 1/72 jet ones around, apart from that blasted panel decal!

I wonder if those Yahu guys do a 3D panel for it?

It's really not that bad, i could've tried to cut the dials and gauges out and place them on the painted panel over the raised details but i didn't feel like it and chose the easy way...
I should've bought the Eduard PE set for the cockpit before I started this but i didn't so, it stays like it is.

Regarding the yahu panels, i've looked everywhere and couldn't find it so i'm guessing they don't do one yet.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Nope, Yahu don't do a panel for it, which is a shame as they are so simple to use and work out quite inexpensive as well  :thumbsup:

I must admit that when I'm buying a kit these and the Eduard or Peewit canopy masks are about the only accessories I look for now, both are invaluable.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 11, 2022, 06:29:23 AM
Nope, Yahu don't do a panel for it, which is a shame as they are so simple to use and work out quite inexpensive as well  :thumbsup:

I must admit that when I'm buying a kit these and the Eduard or Peewit canopy masks are about the only accessories I look for now, both are invaluable.

It sure is a shame, their stuff looks good. I already have a couple of them in the stash for a Mirage IIICJ and F.1CE/CH but have recently saved a bunch of them on a wish list and also ordered one for the Special Hobby 1/72 P-40N and F.1EQ... along with a set of turned brass Master models 1/48 F-5E/F pitot tube and cannon barrels for one of the AFV kits i have in the stash. I will be buying more of these,3 at least for the other F-5 kits and also for the Freedom Models F-20 kits. :mellow:
BTW, i seem to be reaching a point where i have almost every kit i really wanted to have... obviously, i can always think of a kit or two that i wouldn't mind having or others i'd like to build again but most of those are available and easy to buy at any moment so i'm done with spending hours looking for OOP kits and rare/limited editions that i really wanted to get my hands on. It payed off, IMHO, i have all my holy grail kits. :mellow:

With that said, i've lately been rounding up aftermarket bits like pitot tubes, gun barrels, PE/3D cockpit sets, etc., on lists so i can keep track of what i have in the stash and what i still have to buy for other kits. :angel:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 11, 2022, 02:07:34 PM
It payed off, IMHO, i have all my holy grail kits. :mellow:

I wonder how many of us have said that in the past ?  :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 12, 2022, 07:22:06 AM

;D I know, but i mean it!  ;D
The truth is that when it comes to my all time favorite aircraft, i think i have more than enough and i've managed to buy all the kits i really really really wanted... but i can't say that for kits that will come out in the future, can i?... :wacko:
I have one kit on my wish list at the moment and that's the Kinetic 1/48 Kfir C.10, which hasn't been released yet. Besides that, still missing in my stash is a short nose F-4, E.E. Lightning but not much more i can think of, really.
I don't have a huge house and i won't be able to have all the 37 built and my current stash of 215 models on display at once unless i spend a good amount of money and finish my attic.
It was left unfinished, no floor pavement, no electricity extensions, no insulation meaning, it only has the roof which is made of clay tiles on top of the concrete I-beams and that's it so, models would melt without a good insulation and some cooling system during the summer. Still a bit of an investment to make on that area of the house and that alone is enough reason for me to stop spending so much money on kits... Oh, and i also want a new gate for my garage... :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 12, 2022, 06:08:35 PM

So I take it that it's an imposter who's just bought the two Mustangs then ?  ;) ;D ;D

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2022, 05:55:10 AM

So I take it that it's an imposter who's just bought the two Mustangs then ?  ;) ;D ;D

DfZ didn't say he was never going to buy another kit, Chris, just that he had his Grail Kits. That leaves the door w_i_d_e open! ;)

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 13, 2022, 06:29:15 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2022, 05:55:10 AM

DfZ didn't say he was never going to buy another kit, Chris, just that he had his Grail Kits. That leaves the door w_i_d_e open! ;)

;D ;D ;D
Guy's right, you know, Chris?  :wacko:
But now seriously, i really do have most of what i really wanna build. There will be the occasional kit purchase but, from now on, my focus will be on getting some aftermarket bits and decals for some of the kits in my stash. At the rate i'm building, i don't think i'll be able to finish the pile before i'm 200 years old so, time to build instead of buying. ;D

NARSES2

I'd probably have to see the next Millennium at least to just complete the stash as it stands today, let alone with the inevitable additions  :-\

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 14, 2022, 06:12:00 AM
I'd probably have to see the next Millennium at least to just complete the stash as it stands today, let alone with the inevitable additions  :-\

Doesn't really matter, does it? We're having fun anyway.  :mellow: :drink:

Well, not much has been done but i got the cockpit and seat all ready but still have to finish painting the pilot and them spray some matte varnish on both before it's all closed up in the fuselage.

:cheers:

DogfighterZen

Got the pilot painted so that means i can spray the cockpit black on the fuselage halves and get them glued up. :thumbsup:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat