The SwAF 'Acro Blixt' F36 Lightning

Started by PR19_Kit, July 01, 2022, 05:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I could fit the upper and lower gun ports from the F2A kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The lower fuselage gunports - if that option is used, the guns and ammunition take the place of the electronics for the Firestreak missiles, the upper guns are replaced with more electronics for Red Top.  Don't forget Lightning had a huge amount packed into an exceedingly tight fuselage, hence all the workarounds.

One of the F3.6 proposals had the lower guns, missiles on inboard pylons, and the electronics went in the front of the big belly tank.  I'd go with the underwing gun pods, it's the easiest way round it.  In any case, would a display squadron need guns?  Keep the missiles though as they gave extra lift. Display pilots found them quite useful.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Maybe the missiles are dummies for the aerobatic team?  And they still carry both sets of guns.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

A veritable ARSENAL of IR missiles for my various builds at the moment.  ;D

Only two of these are for the F36 Lightnings though.

A mixture of Airfix Firestreaks, and Alley Cat Red Tops, with the various pylons mixed and matched. I only had to scratchbuild SIX of the Red Tops control fins............  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The F36 'Blixt' (Swedish for 'Lightning') has been fully assembled now, well the main bits of it anyway, and it all fits rather well. The new Alley Cat wing parts fit very well indeed, and I'm quite impressed, but the new, shorter belly tank, less so. That needed a fair few PSR sessions to match it with the F2A fuselage, but it got there in the end.

I added the longer cable ducts, as fitted to the F3s and F6s, by filing down some narrow sprue (from the AZ Attacker kit actually) and they don't look too bad. And as seen above the new Red Tops have been mated with the original Firestreak launch rails and are ready to be glued in on final assembly.

And it has ended up with the upper pair of 30 mm cannon as the blank fairings are not included in the F2A kit, and in any case the Swedes liked having a couple of cannon handy.   ;D

I'll prime it all tomorrow and I expect some more PSR will follow, as it almost always does.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The Lightning's cockpit's painted now and the canopy's in place prior to masking up. But BOTH canopy halves were cracked inside the clear envelope.  :banghead:

The cracks aren't all that visible, but they're a right pain nonetheless, and a direct result of Airfix's minimal packaging with their Starter Sets. It's just a cardboard envelope really, with none of the rigidity of the original box sides. I wonder how many kids have been disappointed by a broken and cracked kit before they even started it?

Once the canopy's masked the whole aircraft will be painted in various NMF shades prior to over-painting the spine and wing leading edges with the lovely Swedish blue in the pic above.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The NMF's been painted for some time, and the fin, spine and wing LEs done in as neat Swedish blue as I could find. The blue is a bit too dark and metallic to match, but it's the best I could find.

Sadly my home printed decals were a DISASTER and I've had to reprint them with a more correct shape for the all-over fin decal, and hopefully they'll be in place in a day or two.

Then, as with the Swift F10, it's the trim painting, the landing gear, the Red Tops and any greeblies that are needed, and it's done. Hopefully by the end of the LHC GB.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2022, 04:29:37 AM, and it's done. Hopefully by the end of the LHC GB.

You can always use your power as a GB Mod  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:20:11 AMYou can always use your power as a GB Mod  :angel:

What makes you think Fred and WON'T do that anyway?  ;D  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Here's the F36 in the paint shop, after a mega-masking session.

You cannot view this attachment.

Maybe some decaling later on.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2022, 06:30:20 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:20:11 AMYou can always use your power as a GB Mod  :angel:

Does that mean we can ask for a two month extension?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on September 08, 2022, 01:52:44 PMDoes that mean we can ask for a two month extension?

At the rate I'm going on my Tu-13, a two YEAR extension would be more likely!  :o

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on September 08, 2022, 01:52:44 PM

Gondor

Why have power if you can't exploit it?

:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 09, 2022, 04:20:12 AM

Gondor

Why have power if you can't exploit it?

:wacko:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Gondor

You can ask  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.