Main Menu

USAF C-57

Started by Gondor, July 01, 2022, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

No idea if the title would be correct ot not and I cant find the picture I saw when some ideas for the LHC GB were discussed but here are the main parts for my Group Build entries

Probably a very silly idea to start yet another build as I have yet to finish any of the items from the last one  :banghead:

Oh well, when you get ideas...

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

kerick

Press on!! Looks very interesting!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

Is this what you were after Alistair?

From "B-57 Canberra at war"
by Robert C. Mikesh.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

Ohhhh, love pax versions of bombers- bring it on!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on July 01, 2022, 01:43:33 PM
Is this what you were after Alistair?

Jim

Yes Jim it is although the cockpit looks more Convair that what I have for the conversion work. Will have to see what I can do. The picture was in the Canberra/B-57 thread which is where I saw it. Checking the canopy provided in the kit makes me think that with careful masking I may be able to replicate the windows of the display model, maybe  :-\

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

McColm

A very interesting project  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

The designation C-78 was the Military specification for the Cesena Bobcat.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on July 02, 2022, 07:48:23 AM

Which was pre 1962 and the use of the Tri-Service designations which I have just checked and decided just to change the Letter to indicate the change of role. No idea if it needs a mod to update the rest of the posts other than mine or not.

Gondor

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on July 02, 2022, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: McColm on July 02, 2022, 07:48:23 AM

Which was pre 1962 and the use of the Tri-Service designations which I have just checked and decided just to change the Letter to indicate the change of role. No idea if it needs a mod to update the rest of the posts other than mine or not.

Gondor

Bobcats were considered obsolete by 1949, and probably long since retired by the timeline of your C-78.  Call it Bobby Mac's DoD recycling model numbers as an experiment in "(in)efficiency".
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Regardless of what I call it other than a Canberra, I was thinking this morning that perhaps I am going about this build the wrong way, I also have yet to cut plastic which actually helps.
I am now thinking of using as much of the existing kit as possible, cutting holes in the fuselage for windows, I have some left over from a Nimrod R.1 conversion project, and then fitting a cockpit to the front. I would separate the forward fuselage on one side, just forward of the wing root as long as it misses a window, then I can add an interior if I so desired.
Old clear Airfix bases might prove to have the right curvature for the cabin windows, if not it may be a case of forming my own over a balsa former. This would enable me to produce the odd looking canopy in the pictures.

"Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential"

Gondor

The Wooksta!

There's another way of doing the clear windows.  Not cheap, but it does work.  Get hold of some of the UV cure clear resin.  Cut the holes and back them with tape.  Pour the resin in the holes and hit it with the light from a UV torch.  Cures in seconds.  Sand it back and polish.  Remove tape and you're done.

Done it with a Huntsman and a Sea Vixen.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

jcf

Fun project.  :wub:

As to designation, it most likely wouldn't be C-57, as that was used in the pre-'62 Tri-Service designation systems
for a version of the Lockheed Model 18 Lodestar, and it couldn't be C-57 in the post-'63 system because the
numbering has yet to get that high.

The highest C number assigned in the pre-'62 system was C-143, which had been requested for
the Curtiss Model 200 VTOL which was instead designated X-19.
You could use C-143 saying it had been reassigned, or just go for C-144 ... but ...

"In December 2005, the pre-1962 C-series was revived, when the designation C-143A was allocated to a Bombardier (Canadair) "Challenger" 604 aircraft, which had been acquired by the U.S. Coast Guard. Unofficial information indicates that there has been some DOD-internal confusion if C-42 (the nominal next number in the post-1962 C-series) was really available for allocation. The result was the continuation of the older C-series, because the C-143 slot was definitely available."
;D

The HC-144 is the USCG Ocean Sentry built by Airbus Military and based on the CASA/IPTN CN-235.

However in the original sequence:
"C-138
The C-138 designation had originally been skipped and reserved for use by the US Navy (see also H-36/38). Later, it was planned for allocation to the Fairchild F-27 (license-built Fokker F-27 Friendship), if that type were acquired by the USAF. This did not happen, and therefore the C-138 designation remained unused. It is not known, why a designation was reserved for the F-27 before any firm plans to acquire the aircraft were actually made.

C-139
The designation SC-139 was requested on 18 October 1954 for a variant of the Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune, but the designation was disapproved on 23 November 1954. C-139 was not reassigned to another project."

Either one fits as far as time period goes.