A Dutch Orkaan

Started by NARSES2, July 03, 2022, 06:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

With the Spitfire nearly finished I wanted a nice, stress free kit to put together while I was faffing about with the pair of Tempest Mk II's. So after having a look through the stash and rejecting a fair few initial choices I pulled a relatively new tool Airfix early Hurricane Mk I out of the stash. I've built a couple of these and they go together without any fuss, so hopefully it will be the perfect companion while I battle the Tempests.

The plan is that the Dutch AF got enough early fabric wing Mk I's to form one squadron in early 1939 and they served through until the German invasion of 1940.

According to Google translate Orkaan is Dutch for Hurricane. If it isn't, hopefully one of our Dutch members can tell me what is ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Correct translation Chris.  <_<

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Thanks Tom  :thumbsup:

Back in the old days I'd have phoned my colleagues in Ijmuiden  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 03, 2022, 06:52:48 AM

.... in Ijmuiden  ;)

Now there's a difficult town name to pronounce! My colleague in the MTS Dutch Sales Office said they used it to test the Gestapo's attempts at infiltration of the Dutch Resistance during WWII.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2022, 08:01:28 AM

.... in Ijmuiden  ;)

Now there's a difficult town name to pronounce! My colleague in the MTS Dutch Sales Office said they used it to test the Gestapo's attempts at infiltration of the Dutch Resistance during WWII.  ;)

I think the best test is Scheveningen
pronounced with a very hard G in sGeveningen.....

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on July 03, 2022, 09:41:03 AM

.... in Ijmuiden  ;)

Oh yes, only a true Dutchman can pronounce that! I failed every single time. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

FXII

And of course the I & J letter combination is a separate letter in Dutch, pronounced with your toungue pressed to the inside of your molars, like the Scottisch prononciation of "house", which  BTW is exactly like the Durtch word "huis".

zenrat

I get laughed at whenever I try to order an uitsmijter in the Netherlands.
It's worth it though so I keep trying.

Dutch cooking.   :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Cleaned up a few of the major parts this morning while the underside coat of varnish on the Spitfire was drying. Also decided that she will be an early Mk I with the two bladed prop, same as the Belgian's got.

NARSES2

Whilst waiting for putty and plastic card reinforcements to dry of the Tempests I did some more preliminary work on this. All the smaller parts are detached from the sprues, cleaned up and mounted ready for some painting. Might get that done over the weekend.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Well I now have a completed airframe, I forgot how quickly and easily this kit goes together  :thumbsup: I also forgot that 90% of the effort I put into the cockpit will never be seen again, even if I can pose the canopy open.

Just a little p.s.r. to do, mainly down to my carelessness, but should start getting paint on mid week or there abouts.

NARSES2

A small tip for anyone with this kit in their stash or planning on getting a copy. Whilst it is a really nice, simple, quick build that's ideal for recharging the batteries or as an in-between more complicated builds filler, there is one tricky bit, and even though I'm on my third build I still haven't learned. So i thought I'd type it here and I might remember next time  :angel:.

Stage 12 would have you fit part C1 into the wheel bay, well don't. It really, really doesn't want to slip into its location holes without a fight, and it's beaten me on three occasions. Fit it into its location holes in the wheel bay roof* before you glue the two wing halves together. It may mean there's a slight miss-match once the wings are joined, but if you use slow setting glue that shouldn't be a problem.

* the wheel bay roof is on the underneath of the central part of the upper wing half.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2022, 07:43:33 AM
Just a little p.s.r. to do, mainly down to my carelessness, but should start getting paint on mid week or there abouts.

Completed, so the decision is to prime or not to prime ?

PR19_Kit

I always prime, but that's because I KNOW there's some PSR I missed and priming will show it up.

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 03, 2022, 10:38:13 AM
Quote from: TomZ on July 03, 2022, 09:41:03 AM

.... in Ijmuiden  ;)

Oh yes, only a true Dutchman can pronounce that! I failed every single time. :(

How about the town near where my mum's side of the family come from?  Enschede.   Always pronounced "En-shader" but the Brits, when it's actually "En-skeddy"