A Dutch Orkaan

Started by NARSES2, July 03, 2022, 06:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on July 12, 2022, 10:17:50 PM

How about the town near where my mum's side of the family come from?  Enschede.   Always pronounced "En-shader" but the Brits, when it's actually "En-skeddy"

Oh yes, I was taught that correctly ages ago. One of my customers was there so I HAD to get it right!

They had a bubble wrap testing machine from us, GREAT fun! And noisy too.........  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Devilfish on July 12, 2022, 10:17:50 PM

How about the town near where my mum's side of the family come from?  Enschede.   Always pronounced "En-shader" but the Brits, when it's actually "En-skeddy"

Yup another one my colleagues at Hoogovens taught me, mind you I had to teach them a couple of the weirder British ones as well. However the real problems they had, and their English was perfect  :bow:, was with some of  the regional accents  ;D

I had an early start to Dutch pronunciations as a friend at junior school had a Dutch mother, lots of lads in the 50's had continental mothers, and I went with him to visit his grandparents one summer. Brilliant week as they lived near an army training camp which was on a heath absolutely littered with the wrecks of WWII armour, both Allied and German, which was presumably used for firing practice ? Absolute heaven for a couple of 9 year olds in 1961  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 12, 2022, 08:15:21 AM
I always prime, but that's because I KNOW there's some PSR I missed and priming will show it up.

If I've done a lot of psr then I will prime with Halfords Grey, or if there's a lot of white on a model, like my recent Spitfire, then I will prime in white, but at other times I have to be in the mood. These haven't had much psr at all, but they might get primed, see how I feel in the morning ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 12, 2022, 07:08:10 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2022, 07:43:33 AM
Just a little p.s.r. to do, mainly down to my carelessness, but should start getting paint on mid week or there abouts.

Completed, so the decision is to prime or not to prime ?

Was a good boy today, went with primer

Wardukw

Strange ya go with gray as a primer for a largely PSRed build Chris..i use black for that purpose ..makes any misses stick out like dogs wallnuts and if you really want to make life difficult scan over it with a high powered IED touch  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Grey's always worked for me. Maybe the availability of the very fine pigmented Halfords Grey Primer in the UK is why so many of us use it?

Plus it works if the main colour is light one too, whereas black might not do.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Ahh that could be it Chris..a super fine spray is wonderful and yup its good for light colours but black also works with light colours if you want a shade affect ..laying the colour over the same area over and over again can give a heap of shade affects and it still looks great..that's why all of my tanks and a few planes are primed in black..free shadeing ;D
Gray is prefect for planes ..i then spray black on the panel lines just to highlight those but nothing new about that..its been done for yrs.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Tamiya Fine Grey Primer .... Just bought 6 cans of it & have 6(/5?) cans of their regular Grey Primer from when the Fine was unavailable during the worst of the COVID supply issues.

Both are good, Fine is better. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Well got the undersides painted, used some of my remaking Humbrol Metalcote, lovely paint  :thumbsup:. Top surfaces over the weekend, hopefully.

Been musing on a second Dutch Hurricane, but this time a latter Mk I using one of my Arma kits. If I go with it then I'll probably finish it in the standard Dutch 3 colour scheme.

NARSES2

Well faster progress than I thought.

She is now fully painted and has her transfers on  :thumbsup: Onto finals now  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Glad to hear its coming along matey  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Very hot in the model room this morning and could only manage 20/30 minutes before it got to clammy and I had to take a break. Still not a problem as I'm at that stage of the process where there's lots of little things to be done and thus I've done some work on the kit before retiring to read for 30 minutes or so and then returning to the kit.  :thumbsup:

I forgot that the only fiddly bit with this kit is the undercarriage and that you ae better off following the instructions rather than thinking that all you "experience" means you can go your own way.  :angel: Still got there after some faffing, fiddling and mild swearing so should have photos by the weekend. All being well.

NARSES2

A Hawker Orkan Mk I (fabric wing) of the 1.II.1 (1. Ja Va) (First Fighter Squadron) De Kooy, The Netherlands, January 1939.

In late 1938 the Dutch signed a contract with Hawkers for the delivery of 20 Hawker Hurricanes. Deliveries to commence in early 1939. However due to the ongoing rapid expansion of the R.A.F. Hawkers initially had problems fulfilling the order and it was only with the availability of 12 "early" fabric wing Hurricanes that they were able to start doing so. Needless to say the Dutch were not particularly happy about this and it was only with the intervention of the British Government, who were hoping to persuade the Dutch to renounce their neutrality, that 12 "later" metal skinned Hurricanes were shipped to Rotterdam in August 1939 (see Part 2 for farther details). As way of compensation for the delay the earlier Hurricanes were "gifted" to the Dutch and remained in service with 1.II.1 (1. Ja Va). Unfortunately many were destroyed on the ground when the German's invaded the Netherlands on 10th May 1940 and the remaining few, despite the heroic efforts of their pilots and ground crew, were unable to stem the overwhelming force of the invaders. Nonetheless the few Orkans able to get into the air destroyed a number of German bombers and fighters before the surviving two flew to England on the 16th May.

The kit is the relatively new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk I which enables you to build an early and a later version from the box. It's a nice comfortable build, with the only slightly tricky area being the undercarriage fit, my tip here ? Follow the instructions  :angel:. Transfers are from an old Techmod sheet which I'd forgotten I had. No idea where I got them and it's priced in what I assume are Zlotys ? Paints are a mixture of Xtracrylic for the main colours with Humbrol, including some old Metalcoat, for the rest. One point of notice is that despite the wheels being keyed to the undercarriage legs I still seem to have got them miss-aligned and the flats aren't quite on the ground. No idea how I managed that ?  :banghead:

A nice relaxing, relatively quick build.

TomZ

Ah yes, that looks very good indeed!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2