Hunter T.5, Lightning trainer *finished*

Started by sandiego89, July 03, 2022, 10:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

The EE lightning had blistering performance but posed training and maintenance challenges for the RAF.  While the training versions of the EE Lightning were very useful for transition and continuity training, they were very expensive to operate and due to their limited endurance, students had precious little time to practice paterns, basic flight skills and intercept work.  Hawker submitted a proposal to outfit Hunter F.6's and 2-seat Hunter T.7's with a Lightning wing planform so students could get a feel for some of the Lightning characteristics especially high-speed take-offs and approaches, and stalls.

Hunter T.5, Lightning trainer

1/72

by Sandieogo89

the plan, against my best judgment, mate a Lighting wing to a Hunter.  I am sure someone else has done it.

The victims:  a mix of Frog and Airfix Lightnings and Airfix F.6 Hunter (1964 boxing!)

Bits of Frog F.6 and Airfix F.2A EE Lightning leftovers   

The Hunter F.6 - think the decals and instructions have aged a bit......

Too late to send in my form for the Airfix magazine?  Sounds like a bargain at 1/6 per copy. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Send it in anyway just to see what happens!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Well Haldane Place is still there, handy for Wimbledon as well  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

work commenced- my attempt at taking the best from 2 classic, elegant designs and making them ugly! 

cut here lines applied. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

So that covers the Lightning and Hunter. Are you adding anything from a Canberra?

Looks interesting for sure.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on July 04, 2022, 02:06:13 PM

Certainly does and I'd say intriguing as well
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Quote from: Gondor on July 04, 2022, 02:06:13 PM
So that covers the Lightning and Hunter. Are you adding anything from a Canberra?

Gondor

I promised myself not to buy anything for this build, so strictly going with the very old mold of the Hunter from the bargain table and Lightning leftovers from my Lightning seaplane mash up- and no Canberra in the stash, but if I had one it would be fair game!

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Wing work. 

Reprofiled wing.  New center spar

Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

Lots of bondo and work on the underside

Primer on. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 11, 2022, 06:24:48 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:15:44 AM
That works REMARKABLY well!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It does indeed  :thumbsup:

Agee on that, but am I missing something, I thought it was to be a trainer?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:15:44 AM
That works REMARKABLY well!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed!  Looks very natural.  Cant wait to see it complete!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....