Started by sandiego89, July 03, 2022, 10:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 11, 2022, 08:42:36 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 11, 2022, 06:24:48 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2022, 03:15:44 AM
That works REMARKABLY well!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It does indeed  :thumbsup:

Agee on that, but am I missing something, I thought it was to be a trainer?

Both single seat and side by side seat Hunter T.5's were operated by the RAF. The side by side T.5B's were used for initial familiarization and currency flights, but students spent a good deal of time on the single seat versions using the type as a conversion/lead-in trainer to give students experience with the Lightning wing platform characteristics to perform handling, pattern and lower speed intercept work before they graduated to the EE Lightning.  Both versions were also used for currency training.  Costs and availability were markedly better than the EE Lighting T.4/5.  The aircraft gained a reputation as a ground gripper, especially on warmer days, but were found to be a useful introduction to the Lightning characteristics, especially the much higher takeoff and landing speeds, that students had experienced on aircraft such as the Meteor T.7.   

(backstory to fit the fact that I only had a F.6 in the stash)  ;)   ;D

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

I forget which it is but there's a Kit's nth Rule for that! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 11, 2022, 10:41:14 PM

I forget which it is but there's a Kit's nth Rule for that! :thumbsup:

It's the 2nd, and this is a PEREFCT example of where it applies.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I LOVE the backstory Dave.  :thumbsup: :wub:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

Complete

Hunter T.5, No. 226 OCU, RAF Coltishall

Dave "Sandiego89"

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Old Wombat

It looks good! :thumbsup:

But there's a tiny part of my brain that's saying it's concerned about the potential flight characteristics. :-\

I shall ignore that little voice & appreciate the build! ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Excellent.  This is exactly the sort of thing I was envisioning when we were drawing up the rules.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate it.  It really needs some more touch-up, if not a complete repaint, but I called it done and walked away.   

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 05, 2022, 05:59:26 AM
It looks good! :thumbsup:

But there's a tiny part of my brain that's saying it's concerned about the potential flight characteristics. :-\

I shall ignore that little voice & appreciate the build! ;D ;D

Yes, please ignore those pesky things.  Hawker was very clever in the conversion and although the wing was the shape of the Lightning to mimic the Lightning characteristics, it was a much lighter structure overall as high MACH was not required (or possible).  Judicious use of ballast also helped balance the aircraft, but the T.5 was very much considered a ground gripper, especially on warmer days.

Quote from: zenrat on August 05, 2022, 06:28:59 AM
Excellent.  This is exactly the sort of thing I was envisioning when we were drawing up the rules.

I thought a mash-up of two of them would fit the spirit of the GB theme well! Thank you
Dave "Sandiego89"