Keeping It Simple - Vickers 588

Started by kitbasher, July 03, 2022, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Right then, more progress with the 588, which is on it's legs!

Main u/c leg braces made from plastic tube with pieces of plastic rod inserted:

Replacing the Airfix F.3 u/c doors with something hopefully better, utilising the 'undercarriage up' parts from an Airfix F.2A.  The leg door has had some plastic strut attached and cut to size, while the wheel door has an internal frame made from said strut.  Not shown here is the filler I subsequently added and pressed into approximate shap with a well aimed index finger.  sanding doen needed on both in order to improve the shapes ahead of attaching to the model.

And finally, the seat is finished:

Kit seat with masking tape straps, a slice of plastic rod for the central lock and fuse wire for the grab handle.  The latter strictly should have black stripes along it - I may yet do that but I fear it'll look a little cack-handed!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Just had a thought which I have no idea if it will work or not.

Some very thing flexible wire and then wrap around it a peice of place thread and a peice of yellow thread, apply white glue/PVA and shape as needed.  :-\

Who knows, it may work

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

buzzbomb

Very nice Seat and overall lovely work so far :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 29, 2022, 03:19:08 PMVery nice Seat and overall lovely work so far :thumbsup:

One has to agree with both of those comments  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

The irony is I have the relevant main gear doors ready to go in the post...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Well, apart from tidying up and attaching the main u/c doors (the ones with the complex internal contours - just using a bit of filler to create the image, won't be 100% accurate), building is complete.  The canopy has been masked and the framing undercoated a very dark grey, otherwise an overall coat of Xtracolor aluminium.  This has exposed a very small number of minor irregularities/blemishes that can quickly be corrected with a very sharp scalpel. 

Once all done I'll mask off certain areas that will then get top coats of varying metallic Xtracolors (e.g. RAF High Speed Silver, Weissaluminium, Burnt Iron, etc, to help create more of a natural metal feel.  Will of course refer to photos of Lightnings for guidance.

I know progress has been much slower than it could have been but I've very much enjoyed the build so far.  Pleased with the way the panel scribing and bang seat embellishment has gone, and the Freightdog resin wings have been a dream to use.

Will do what I can over the weekend but after that there's no modelling until the 21st due to holiday.  Final tidying up and some intensive decalling when I get back!

Er, GB Mods - any chance of an extension?  ;D  ;)
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on September 09, 2022, 08:21:35 AMEr, GB Mods - any chance of an extension?  ;D  ;)

FAR too early to ask yet.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 30, 2022, 02:31:55 PMThe irony is I have the relevant main gear doors ready to go in the post...

If they're still available I'm still up to relieving you of them, Lee.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 09, 2022, 09:48:43 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on September 09, 2022, 08:21:35 AMEr, GB Mods - any chance of an extension?  ;D  ;)

But not too early to start looking for your cheque book.   ;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on September 10, 2022, 04:43:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 09, 2022, 09:48:43 AM

But not too early to start looking for your cheque book.   ;D

Think I threw my last one out, goodness knows how many decades ago I last used one  :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I'm sure Fred and I can figure out a way to bribe donate by plastic..................  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I still have my cheque book and looking at it I wrote my last one in April 2021 to the Social Club I frequent. They'd normally take cash for annual membership fees but during Covid they had to resort to other means obviously.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Hurrah!  Intake ring and a couple of other bits and bobs still to paint, but decals are now going on!!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est