The Canberra F.18

Started by Gondor, July 06, 2022, 08:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Due to a mixture of my wishing to build my C-57 as close to the images posted elsewhere, and the length of time to achieve that goal I have removed that build from the group and replaced it with this  ;D

It's been sitting around waiting for an excuse to build it for years, as have most of my projects, well as the saying goes.... It's Time Has Come!!!

Probably the more difficult part of this build will be finding the instructions for both the kit and the conversion.... I know I put them down around here some where... some time ago probably  :-\

I can always get a copy of the instructions for the kit through scalemates and I have a second P,12 conversion set in the stash so I can always borrow those if I need them.

I am thinking 60 Squadron FEAF to go with my VG Lightning F.6 so I already have decals from Kit's Dekals so that's sorted  :thumbsup:

Much simpler that the B-57 conversion so there is a chance I can finish it within the time limit of the Group Build  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

If you've got the Dan Sharp F.155 book, there's a drawing of a P.12 with a gunpack and underwing Red Tops, along with standard tip tanks. Can't remember if it's an 8 or 9 airframe though.  Still got the same radar nose as per Colin's instructions.

That's the one I'll slowly working on - the rest of the bits might go on something else Cranberry based.  Now thinking on a variant with Blue Waters
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Yes, it's a little picture from the brochure on P124 and shoes a possible armament for the aircraft as two Red Tops and a gun pack of four 20mm cannons and a twin door rocket pack roughly where the front of the bomb bay would have previously been.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Mossie

The same pic but a bit larger is in Battle Flight, as well as a fair few pages on Canberra fighter variants. I guess you've got it?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Gondor on July 06, 2022, 08:15:40 AM
Probably the more difficult part of this build will be finding the instructions for both the kit and the conversion.... I know I put them down around here some where... some time ago probably  :-\

I can always get a copy of the instructions for the kit through scalemates and I have a second P,12 conversion set in the stash so I can always borrow those if I need them.
Gondor
Kit instructions can also be found on matchboxkits.org (they have scans of most MBox kit instructions):
http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?cPath=27_36_63&products_id=366

Gondor

Quote from: Snowtrooper on July 06, 2022, 01:44:18 PM

Kit instructions can also be found on matchboxkits.org (they have scans of most MBox kit instructions):
http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?cPath=27_36_63&products_id=366

Oppps, forgot to say in my last post that I found the Matchbox kit instructions and as I have a second P.12 conversion set I can always "borrow" the ones from there, saying that thought its pretty self explanatory as to what goes where.

Gondor

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 06, 2022, 11:18:54 AM
If you've got the Dan Sharp F.155 book, there's a drawing of a P.12 with a gunpack and underwing Red Tops, along with standard tip tanks. Can't remember if it's an 8 or 9 airframe though.  Still got the same radar nose as per Colin's instructions.

That's the one I'll slowly working on - the rest of the bits might go on something else Cranberry based.  Now thinking on a variant with Blue Waters

In addition to my previous comment on the picture you refer to Lee, the larger side view of an operational P.12 has 39 Squadrons badge on the tail fin which as you know is a P.R. squadron  :rolleyes:

Gondor

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on July 06, 2022, 08:15:40 AM

Ooh, that pic got the little grey cog wheels clanking and grinding.  I built one of them as a youth.  ISTR a low parts count for a model that size.
Perfect for whiffing.  I presume Revell repopped it?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 07, 2022, 02:43:30 AM

I presume Revell repopped it?

They did for a while, but in grey.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on July 06, 2022, 01:38:56 PM
The same pic but a bit larger is in Battle Flight, as well as a fair few pages on Canberra fighter variants. I guess you've got it?

Yes I do. That P.16 variant looks interesting  ;)

Gondor

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Gondor on July 07, 2022, 02:29:36 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 06, 2022, 11:18:54 AM

In addition to my previous comment on the picture you refer to Lee, the larger side view of an operational P.12 has 39 Squadrons badge on the tail fin which as you know is a P.R. squadron  :rolleyes:

Gondor

I didn't actually. There are some gaps in my knowlege.

Does it matter anyway?  4 Sqn ended WWII flying recce Spitfires, moved to Mosquito FB.6 post war for light bombing, then Sabres in the intercept role, back to FR with Swifts and then Hunter before back to the light strike role with Harrier.  8 Sqn spent most of it's life as a light bomber/strike unit before getting lumbering WW2 vintage (or thereabouts) aircraft in the AEW role - bit of a comedown for a Hunter jockey happier lobbing a 3 in rocket through a rebelling arab's window to be told he's dragging around a load of electronics over the sea.

My point is that no unit is stuck in a specific role forever.  Besides which, the artist may have liked those markings or thought that as 39 were flying Cranberries and PR9s at that, they could be a good choice for the P.12 variant.  The latter does make some kind of sense.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Just out of interest, between 1946 and 1958 39 Sqn flew Mosquito and Tempest fighter bombers and Mosquito and Meteor night fighters before converting to PR Canberras.  So perhaps in Whifworld they converted to Canberra fighters from Meteors.

Pedantry Alert!  Given the Canberra's 1940s origins, either the 'Canberra F1' designation might need a rethink, or it's operational debut needs to be earlier than the EE P12's real world development.

Your call, of course.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Gondor

Quote from: kitbasher on July 08, 2022, 01:01:24 PM
Just out of interest, between 1946 and 1958 39 Sqn flew Mosquito and Tempest fighter bombers and Mosquito and Meteor night fighters before converting to PR Canberra's.  So perhaps in Whifworld they converted to Canberra fighters from Meteors.

Pedantry Alert!  Given the Canberra's 1940s origins, either the 'Canberra F1' designation might need a rethink, or it's operational debut needs to be earlier than the EE P12's real world development.

Your call, of course.

There was a P.2 proposed, however all the aircraft developed were Bombers and Reconnaissance versions so if the P.12 was the first Fighter version it would be an F.1, or are you suggesting that I have the Mark Number numerically after the version of airframe the P.12 is based on?

Gondor

kitbasher

Hi Gondor, you got me delving into my (admittedly meagre) Canberra references regarding the 'P.2', which is new to me so I must bow to your superior knowledge.

I do know the B.1 Canberra wasn't proceeded with, that Roly Beamont fleetingly suggested a 'fighter Canberra' in 1949, but the P.12 was 1956 onwards.

I was suggesting a mark number that could (with a bit of jiggery pokery) be shoehorned into the actual Canberra chronology, based on the P.12 timeline.

Unless of course the F.1 grew out of the B.1, which may need an armament rethink.

BUT.....this is your build and I'm sure the backstory will explain all.  Apologies for the diversion.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter