Valmet Peitsi & Kalpa - Finished for Now - Pic's

Started by Old Wombat, July 07, 2022, 11:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

If your going to be a rivet counter and zimm has to be there then good on ya and up ill zimm a model if i feel it warrents it but like Guy if i can avoid it i will.
With my German wiffy builds there always later war anyway and it is fact they didnt use it very long but theres one thing about it catching fire.
I watched a demonstration at Munster in Germany where they set fire tp a small piece of zimm from a Stug and it burnt very well and i suspect something.
Some zimm burned and some didnt..it all wasnt made in the same factory ..it was mixed as needed and if ya got the mix wrong then there ya go .
When you consider it was mixed with petrol and had zinc sulphate ..ya your gonna get fire..oh theres a pic on the net of a restored Stug or panzer3 ..dont remember which but the zimmerit is on fire   :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

I was going on the post-war tests done by the British, & the recipe they had didn't catch fire under any circumstances.

Still, as you say, QC wasn't great in German factories near the end of the war.

Interestingly, though, once applied in the factory, the zimmerit paste was hardened using a blow-torch, so you'd expect that, if there was a fire risk, that it'd happen in the factory rather than in the field.

Edit: Image from The Tank Museum showing zimmerit being torched to accelerate the curing/drying process (this may be where the reports of zimmerit burning came from, or from fuel spilled on the zimmerit soaking in to make areas of zimmerit around the fuel tanks/jerry can storage flammable, or improperly cured zimmerit);

https://tankmuseum.org/article/zimmerit/
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Yup thats the pic mate and yup i did forget where that pic was taken but ill agree with fuel spillage /oil spillage and QC would all be factors .
As for the British post war tests it would seem for sure thy got the hands on good stuff  ;D
The QC thing i think is up there and that wouldnt surprise me if that was the main reason ...oh fuel and oil   :lol:
And this is my fault  ;D  ..talking about saw blades lead to this  :lol:
Back to planes as this is the wrong forum  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

The builds are pretty much done (except for insignificant little bits like air brakes, landing gear & stores), & are primed & have had (probably pointlessly, the way I paint) pre-shading added.

Rick Lowe

They're looking good, Guy, and I look forward to seeing the end results.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Yup with Rick here..looking forward  to this mate  ;D

Old Wombat

SMS Metallic Aluminium down on the La-200B.

Much to my surprise the pre-shading has worked! Very subtle but, from the right angles, visible; which is a win, in my book! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A couple more metallics to go & a splash of white & black, plus a gloss coat, & the airframe is done, just the bits'n'bobs to go. Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

Old Wombat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 03, 2022, 03:42:41 AM
The F-86 is just about to accompany me out to the garage to have its first camo colour applied. Fingers crossed that this goes as well! [Why is there no "praying" emoji? It'd be the most frequently used one here!]

So far: So good! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 03, 2022, 03:59:14 AM

So far: So good! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Chris! :thumbsup:

Minor stuff up on one of the later metallics on the La-200B, managed to accidentally brush against it before it was touch dry. :banghead:

Nothing some judicious blipping with the airbrush can't fix, though! ;)

Back to work tomorrow, so no idea when I'll get the paintwork finished, but soon, hopefully. [See! A "praying" emoji would go here perfectly, too!]

Wardukw

Guy your dangling the carrots here mate  :lol:
We're all donkeys waiting to get our reward  ;D

Old Wombat

Still waiting for the transfers/decals to arrive from the UK.

This is no longer the case. Arrived in the Post Office Box this morning & collected at 1100hrs, en route to work. :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Minor stuff up fixed! :thumbsup:

Now onto the next bit. ;D

Wardukw

;D oh this is going be worth waiting to see mate  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

[Sigh!] :-\

A-and we've had another hiccup with the metallic paints! :banghead:

Doing the last 2 colours & when I removed the masking, well (due to the pre-shading paint not gripping well enough) a big chunk, plus a couple of smaller ones, of one of the earlier colours came off with it! :banghead: :banghead:

[Sigh!] :-\

Guess I'll leave it all for 24 hours & see if I can fix it tomorrow night, maybe Sunday night (we'll see). :rolleyes:

In other news: the second camo colour has gone onto the F-86 nicely! (Hopefully the masking tape doesn't pull off any paint on this one!) Will mask up &, hopefully, paint the final camo colour tomorrow night or Sunday night. :thumbsup: