Valmet Peitsi & Kalpa - Finished for Now - Pic's

Started by Old Wombat, July 07, 2022, 11:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Oh i hate that Guy and yep ive been on the receiving end of that ...i now always run a blade along the tape..works most of the time  :unsure:   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Oh, bugger.  :banghead:

IIRC the trouble is that most metallics are too delicate to stand up to masking tape - even the 'low-tack' type.
I have heard of people successfully using wet paper, I think newsprint. It would take practice, though.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's a "B" mate  :-\

Seem to have been hearing more about that with metallic paints recently, they seem to becoming more delicate. Not the type of thing that seems to affect my ham fisted brush work to often, plus I don't do to many NM finished, but I can sympathise for sure.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on August 05, 2022, 12:43:20 PM
Oh i hate that Guy and yep ive been on the receiving end of that ...i now always run a blade along the tape..works most of the time  :unsure:   ;D

Quote from: Rick Lowe on August 05, 2022, 03:34:06 PM
Oh, bugger.  :banghead:

IIRC the trouble is that most metallics are too delicate to stand up to masking tape - even the 'low-tack' type.
I have heard of people successfully using wet paper, I think newsprint. It would take practice, though.

No, those weren't the issues, Phill & Rick (edit: & Chris). The issue was that the underlying "pre-shading" layer of paint (Tamiya XF-2 Flat White acrylic) didn't adhere to the primer (Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Grey)).

I could strip the whole thing back, but I'm not going to. I'll finish it as best I can with fix-ups but use it as a steep-ish learning curve. Next time I'm using SMS lacquers as pre-shading, too. The SMS paints are sticking well to the primer, where they have direct access to it, & the Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey & XF-1 Flat Black that I also used for pre-shading are also sticking well ... it's just the white, for some reason.

Quote from: zenrat on August 06, 2022, 05:40:26 AM
D'oh!

Ain't that a fact! :banghead:

Anyway, I'm working on it. First effort went tits up because I stuck my fat finger on the fresh paint work. Some things I do are just plain stupid! :rolleyes:

I'll give it another hour for me to be less aggro at myself & have at it, again.

In the meantime I'll start taping up the F-86.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

I like the camo on the F-86! :thumbsup:

You lot are going to have to wait a tad, though, as I want to finish off & attach some of the bits'n'bobs before I take pic's. :wacko:

Decided not to touch the La-200B again tonight. Probably tomorrow. ;)

Wardukw

Theres ya problem right there matey..Tamiya primers are enamel and acrylic dont stick to enamels very well at all and in most cases ..at all.
That just might be one of those annoyances Guy..ive sprayed Ammo acrylic on the automotive primer without a hassle.
Might be Tamiya not liking Tamiya .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Tamiya on Tamiya is my regular system & it works fine. As I said, the grey & black pre-shading stuck perfectly well, as Tamiya's acrylics always do with other colours on aircraft & armour, it's just the white.

Weird! :rolleyes:

Wardukw

Dont know if you have had this mate or have noticed it but when i spray dark colours for shading they tend to seem smooth yet white seems ..well fluffy and light .
When ya spray black looks like its part of the plastic where as white seems to  sitting on top of it.
Agreed ..weird...and yeah Tamiya is Tamiya and its pretty good paint .

Old Wombat

Yep! Exactly that! :rolleyes:

PS: Repairs are going well. [Touch wood! :angel:] Should be able to do a pre-final lap reveal late tomorrow or sometime by Thursday arvo at the latest.

Old Wombat

Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Peitsi (Lance)

More commonly known as the Papukaijan Nokka (Parrot Beak) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

Note: If you look really carefully you may be able to see the results of the attempted pre-shading on the right wing (left in the image) in a lighter shade on the ailerons & flaps, & the last full wing panel being very slightly darker.

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Old Wombat

Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Kalpa (Sword)

More commonly known as the Pitkä Nenä (Long Nose) by the personnel working with & flying them .... [I'm still working on the backstory!]

And how could I not? :angel:

[NB: Excuse the Finnish, if it's wrong, it's from Google Translate]

Old Wombat

Obviously there's still much work to be done but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at (especially given the issues with the metallics on the Peitsi (Lance).

Next will come a gloss coat & either decals or washes, not sure which, yet.

Wardukw

Looking bloody good mate..and weird  :lol:
The long nose is either deceiving the eyes because that conversion has made the base aircraft look stretched bigtime ..could also be balanced more with the long tail and long nose..either way extremely different looking aircraft and i love em  ;D
Well worth waiting for these pics  :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Weird is the word!  :lol:
Congratulations for the idea, AND the result!
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.