The (almost predictable...) Hunter PR16

Started by PR19_Kit, July 07, 2022, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Ho hum, now the OTHER tailplane's fallen off. :(

It really did just fall off too, I put the model down after a PSR session and plonk, off it went.

I'm giving up with the super glue attachment with that almost T-tail the Hunter has, I'll drill a hole through the fin and glue in a piece of piano wire, with similar holes in the U-2 tailplanes. That should fix it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I put the Tailplane Upgrade Plan into action, now that the PSR is sorted, and both sides are now glued in place properly, complete with wire spar.

The tailplanes have a small amount of dihedral, because I like the way that looks and because the looooooong wings have a little anhedral, just because they should.  ;D

Not so good is I seem to have the canopy on with a bit of a slant, and I can't figure out why. The forward part of the fuselage is aligned properly with the rear part, and with the wings, so quite how I got the canopy to fit like that's beyond me.

Whatever happens, it's not coming off now!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

The canopy is slightly offset to allow for the installation of an electronics bay beside and below the pilot.............your own second rule applies!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Excellent. Thanks Mr. Rheged.  :thumbsup:

I've attached a small air intake under the cockpit floor level to cool off the aforementioned electronics.   ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The underside of the PR16 was always going to be PRY Blue of course, and here it is.

However my backstory has 544 Sqdn. flying from RAF Gutersloh, right up against the Inner German Border, along with 19 and 92 Sqdns. with their Lightning F2As. Accordingly the PR16s were also painted over all Dark Green in the upper surfaces, along with all the cars, trucks, trolly-accs, fire extingusihers, bikes and NAAFI wagons on the base. So it looks a bit like this.....

I've not done all of it yet in case anyone violently disagrees with my ideas on this, but you can see where I'm coming from now.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2022, 11:00:49 AM
in case anyone violently disagrees with my ideas on this
No violence no hate: model making is just enjoyment... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Old Wombat

Budget cuts: Everything in the RAF gets the same green & two-tone camouflage uppers is out!*

[*: PRU Blue is leftover stock from "The War".]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

:thumbsup:

Both could well be true in my backstory too.  ;D

Regards
Kit

TallEng

"However my backstory has 544 Sqdn. flying from RAF Gutersloh, right up against the Inner German Border, along with 19 and 92 Sqdns. with their Lightning F2As. Accordingly the PR16s were also painted over all Dark Green in the upper surfaces, along with all the cars, trucks, trolly-accs, fire extingusihers, bikes and NAAFI wagons on the base. So it looks a bit like this....."

And I seem to remember that the green paint that everything was painted in (WIWIRAFG)* was referred to as NATO Infrared reflective Green? (BS 381C 285) apparently it was meant to mimic the Infrared reflectivity of foliage... maybe something in that for your backstory?

Regards
Keith
*when I was In RAF Germany.
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

I'd not heard that before Keith, thanks SO much.

It's already an integral part of the (currently virtual) backstory. Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: TallEng on July 19, 2022, 02:49:51 AM

And I seem to remember that the green paint that everything was painted in (WIWIRAFG)* was referred to as NATO Infrared reflective Green? (BS 381C 285) apparently it was meant to mimic the Infrared reflectivity of foliage... maybe something in that for your backstory?

Regards
Keith
*when I was In RAF Germany.

That's roughly what I remember from my time in the RAF although I knew of it as IRR Green, same thing just said differently.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Right then, all over IRR Green on top it is.  :thumbsup:

With Type B roundels of course.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2022, 03:30:11 AM
Right then, all over IRR Green on top it is.  :thumbsup:

With Type B roundels of course.  ;)

Sounds good and will probably look good too  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Just had a silly thought.... would you add longer wings to a BAE Hawk? High Altitude trainer perhaps
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

This is Kit, Alastair, he'd add longer wings to a 'fridge if he wanted to! ;D ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 19, 2022, 03:39:51 AM
This is Kit, Alastair, he'd add longer wings to a 'fridge if he wanted to! ;D ;D

One of these days, Kit is going to flabbergast us all with an experimental "lifting body" airframe with NO WINGS AT ALL

Incidentally, Kit, do either of us have the slightest what is in the "electronics bay" that called for an offset canopy and the cooling port you so considerately provided for it.............or will you produce another  inspired piece of  impenetrable technobabble that sounds magnificent and confuses everyone?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet