CAC CA-27 Hunter. Finished Pics Pg.4

Started by zenrat, July 10, 2022, 03:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

My sig line below says it all.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I started the weapons load out today.
She'll be loaded for an anti-ship mission with two AAMs for self defence.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Weapon building continues.
Back story is finished.
I cleared over the transfers today and, though I say it myself, the NMF finish looks rather good on this one.  I may have pulled off this time.
Fingers crossed I don't f**k it up.
Fred

zenrat

Change of mission.
Fitting the undercarriage and their doors has revealed that there is insufficient clearance for the heatseeking guided anti ship bombs I was planning to use.
Nothing an adjustment of the back story won't fix.  ;D

And on the plus side not having to paint six bombs means I will finish quicker.
Fred

NARSES2

"Always look on the bright side of life"  :drink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2022, 09:37:43 AMOver-wing pylons?  ;)

Not in my timeline.  Local variations in the laws of physics render them non tenable.
Fred

Gondor

Depending on how big these anti-shipping bombs are why not hang them under the fuselage as the Singapore Air Force did?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2022, 05:02:45 AMNot in my timeline.  Local variations in the laws of physics render them non tenable.

Before or after the pub ?  :drink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on September 22, 2022, 05:44:19 AMDepending on how big these anti-shipping bombs are why not hang them under the fuselage as the Singapore Air Force did?

Gondor

They are Mk82s with GCS-1 (Hasegawa JASDF weapons set) but once hung on a TER there isn't the clearance underneath.
Doesn't matter, I can live without using them.
Fred

zenrat

Done.

CAC CA-27 Hunna.

The CAC Hunter, sometimes known as the Hunna or CA-27, is an Australian variant of the Hawker Hunter fighter aircraft built by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC). Equipping five RAAF squadrons, the type saw action in the Malayan Emergency in the late 1950s, and was employed for air defence in Malaysia and Thailand in the 1960s. Ex-RAAF models also saw service with the Royal Malaysian Air Force and the Indonesian Air Force.
In 1951, CAC obtained a licence agreement to build the Hawker Hunter.  The prototype aircraft (designated CA-26 Hunter) first flew on 3 August 1953. The production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Hunter and first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force began in 1954.

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 5 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The RAAF operated the CA-27 from 1954 to 1971. The Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) received the first example in August 1954; re-delivered to No. 2 (Fighter) Operational Training Unit (2 OTU) in November. Over the next six years the Hunters progressively equipped No. 75 Squadron RAAF (75 Sqn), No. 3 Squadron RAAF (3 Sqn), No. 77 Squadron RAAF (77 Sqn) and No. 76 Squadron RAAF (76Sqn).

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

From 1958 to 1960, CAC Hunters of No. 78 Wing RAAF (78 Wing), comprising 3 Sqn and 77 Sqn, undertook several ground attack sorties against communist insurgents in the Federation of Malaya, during the Malayan Emergency. Following the Emergency, they remained in Malaysia at RMAF Butterworth (RAAF Butterworth).  Armed initially with Firestreak and later with Red Top missiles, the Hunters were responsible for regional air defence during the Konfrontasi between Indonesia and Malaysia from 1963 until 1966, though no combat took place.  Between October and December 1965, a detachment of six Hunters, initially from 77 Sqn and later from 3 Sqn, was based at Labuan to conduct combat patrols over the Indonesian–Malaysian border on Borneo.

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

In 1962, a detachment of eight CAC Hunters, which was later expanded and designated No. 79 Squadron RAAF (79 Sqn), was sent from RMAF Butterworth to Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base (RAAF Ubon), Thailand, to assist the Thai and Laotian governments in actions against communist insurgents. Australia and Thailand were allies of South Vietnam and the United States during the Vietnam War; 79 Sqn was responsible for local air defence at Ubon, where United States Air Force attack and bomber aircraft were based. The squadron never engaged North Vietnamese aircraft or ground forces.  Two Hunters were lost to engine failure in Thailand, in September 1964 and January 1968. 79 Sqn ceased operations and was deactivated in July 1968.

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 23 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The RAAF began re-equipping with the Dassault Mirage III in 1964. The last Hunters in Australian service, operated by No. 5 Operational Training Unit RAAF (5 OTU), were retired in July 1971.
Former RAAF CAC Hunters were operated by 11 Squadron Royal Malaysian Air Force (11 Sqn RMAF) between 1969 and 1972. Following the establishment of better relations with Indonesia, 23 CAC Hunters were donated to the Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU) between 1973 and 1975, and operated by No. 14 Squadron TNI-AU; five of these were former Malaysian aircraft.

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9.
Red Tops from Hasegawa EE Lightning.
RAAF 3 Sqn transfers (tail markings) from Mirage III set.  Other transfers from the kit.

CAC CA-27 Hunter - 27 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Backstory shamelessly plagiarised from Wikipaedia.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 23, 2022, 07:03:13 AMThe production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre and first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force began in 1954.

Eh? Surely a time warp error?

No matter, it looks ruddy MARVELOUS, a splendid job.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Ooops.

Backstory is the Wiki entry on the Avon Sabre with "Sabre" replaced by "Hunter".  Guess I missed one.

Thanks for the proofreading Kit.
 :thumbsup:
Fred

Tophe

Great model from a different planet (your "special" fingers are better featured on the photograph of the CA-27 zwilling version below). Let all modellers of the Universe be friends! <_<

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/ca-27z-twin-hunna.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]