Progress, or otherwise....

Started by PR19_Kit, July 10, 2022, 06:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

For various reasons I find myself working on FIVE build at the same time.  :banghead:

That's Alistair's wonderfully 'pointy' 1/144 scale Vickers Swallow, my Supermarine Defender F3, another Supermarine, this time the Swift F9, a Swedish aerobatic team's Lightning F3S, and the Hunter PR16.

In a short while they'll ALL be at the same stage, having been primed and going through the post-priming PSR sessions. In my case this stage always last for EVER, so I can see some frustration in my future. :(

Would I have done better by concentrating on just one of them at a time?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

As long as you are enjoying the process, it doesn't matter how many models you have on the go at any one time, or what state any or all of them are at.   Just carry on carrying on at what you find most interesting.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Multiple kits means that when you finish doing something on one you can move onto the next build progressing each a bit at a time. This also means that as the putty cures on one you can work on another.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

I tried just concentrating on one at a time, but found it didn't work for me. I've finally come to the conclusion that three is the ideal number for me as it means there is usually something I can be getting on with whilst something else is setting/drying/or just sitting there sticking two fingers up at me  ;D

Currently I've 2 Tempests and a Hurricane on the go.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Yes, good thinking there from all of you, thanks.

I didn't consider the INTERMINABLE time it takes for the putty to go off when you really want it to dry quickly of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 10, 2022, 07:20:39 AM

I didn't consider the INTERMINABLE time it takes for the putty to go off when you really want it to dry quickly of course.

Paint and super glue has been drying too quickly in today's heat. I think we have a perfect example of Sod's Law in these two statements  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, the Hataka acrylics I used for the Hunter's cockpit were drying on the BRUSH even! The temp in my temporary painting room is well over 30 C though!

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

ONLY FIVE ??? :o
I must have 30 or 40 started builds, some 40 years old ( a Frog Victor and an OLD Airfix B-17 swedish civilian, for example), not counting rolling stock.
I have some locomotives bodies OR frames and cannot find the missing components, jobs started how long ago?
But also for recent builds, from last year or two, I have parts and documentation spread everywhere.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

McColm

I have too many distractions to concentrate on one model at a time, the reason that I haven't started on any boats is I haven't got the room .  Once the racking goes up and the baseboard for my model railway layout is finalised, I can start the painting stage.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on July 10, 2022, 10:20:36 AM

I only have five I'm actually building at the present time. The last time we had a census of stalled builds on here, maybe 10 yrs ago, I topped the list with SIXTY TWO!  :o

That has come down a few in recent years, but I reckon I've still got more than 50 'awaiting attention'. :(

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 10, 2022, 01:08:34 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on July 10, 2022, 10:20:36 AM

I only have five I'm actually building at the present time. The last time we had a census of stalled builds on here, maybe 10 yrs ago, I topped the list with SIXTY TWO!  :o

That has come down a few in recent years, but I reckon I've still got more than 50 'awaiting attention'. :(

OK, that's more reasonable, you were disappointing me...  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Having a few in different stages can be useful. Just don't go sand on one while paint is drying on another. I should look into a sanding booth to keep dust off of other stuff.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

At the last count it was 38, although this has been reduced as I have recycled the parts during my insomnia nights. Taking loads of photos is a good idea during the building stages as I can refer to them when I rebuild them some time in years to come.

rickshaw

Which filler do you use, Kit?  Bondo isn't it?  How do I get some shares in their manufacturer?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on July 11, 2022, 11:19:34 PM

Which filler do you use, Kit?  Bondo isn't it?  How do I get some shares in their manufacturer?   :thumbsup:

No, it's been Presto for many years, the same stuff that Dizzy uses. In fact he got me my first bulk supply of it after I found that it's almost impossible to buy in the UK. (may be even worse now we're out of the EU.... :()

Sometimes I use De Luxe putty for some fine finishing afterwards, but I find it's too fragile for heavy duty work.

Regards
Kit