1/35 Aerosani Vertolet (Aerosan helicopter)

Started by frank2056, July 19, 2022, 08:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This is looking very interesting  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 16, 2022, 07:30:44 PM
Wooden bench seats with cushions for the pilot (passengers are BYO) is just so Soviet! ;D ;D

;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Why not just mount the engine vertically below the rotors?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2022, 04:11:57 AM

I thought about that. The engine would still need some sort of gear reduction and it would make the rotor mast even taller than it is. Plus it looks mildly ridiculous and haphazard with the engine reversed.

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2022, 04:11:57 AM

For a more bizarre, soviet-style look, the engine could turn with the lower rotor, like in the rotary engines, while the motor shaft turns the upper rotor in the opposite direction...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Wardukw

Ok if ya want to get fully russian and funky add another engine..a counter rotating system.
The inside engine powers the lower rotor..the outside engine powers thr upper rotor and is also fitted with a propeller for forward motion .
Ya want nuts Frank there ya go. :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Wardukw

I can go a wee biy worse than that Franky  :wacko:
3 engines..one in front with propeller and the other 2 mounted in pods on the sides  ;D
You wait till you see my mental autogyro i have in mind..talk about over powered as hell  :rolleyes:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Quote from: frank2056 on August 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PM
You guys are nuts! But in a good way...
My English speaking is not fluent enough to judge perfectly, but I don't feel insulted by the word nuts, as "gently crazy, a little" ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on August 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PM
You guys are nuts! But in a good way...

Funny, I thought we were all barking mad :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on August 19, 2022, 05:59:13 PM
Quote from: frank2056 on August 19, 2022, 04:34:01 PMYou guys are nuts! But in a good way...
My English speaking is not fluent enough to judge perfectly, but I don't feel insulted by the word nuts, as "gently crazy, a little" ;)

Good enough for government work Tophe  :thumbsup:  ;D 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

The amount of nuttiness is only determined by the amount of medications you take ..in my case its not as much as some i think or could be more..i used to be indecisive about it but now im not so sure.

frank2056

So maybe I'm a bit nuts too...

I spent way too much time making the rotors. I wanted to make them by gently folding a sheet of plastic and gluing the long edges together (giving the rotor an airfoil shape) but the plastic I was using was too thick and it split when I tried to bring the edges together.  Plan B was to make the rotors out of paper (like I did with the AirJeep over at BTS) but these rotors are much longer and they twisted as the paper dried - even though they had been folded along a styrene rod to keep them in shape. Plan C was to 3D print them in ABS and use the print as the core for a paper (or plastic) skin. That failed, in part because the resulting rotor was too heavy.

Finally, I cut strips of 0.020" plastic sheet for the rotor surfaces and glued a 1.5mm half round rod to one edge (to make the leading edge). I glued a 1mm half round rod directly behind the leading edge rod to provide support, then glued the other surface. I used some 1mm half round rod for the rotor tips, sanded to shape. Just to make things more visually interesting, I scored the inside surfaces to give a faint impression of ribs.

The rotors are pretty light, but they still pulled the rotor assemblies apart. So I drilled everything and threaded a copper rod from one rotor to the other.

The rotors are scaled to be slightly longer than the Yak-EG's rotors and in 1/35 scale they're pretty big. The whole assembly is just tacked down with poster putty:

Here's a closeup of the rotor head:

Next is to figure out a way to mount the rotor gear head/transmission and the engine placement. It didn't occur to me to check the clearance between the bottom rotor and the engine. It's going to be a pretty tight fit. You can see some of the candidates on my messy workbench.