A Dutch Orkaan- Part 2

Started by NARSES2, July 20, 2022, 06:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I've been tempted into doing another Orkaan but in the standard Dutch 3 colour camouflage scheme. This time based on the Arma kit

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

DO IT!!!! ..want to see that the Arma kit is like and the 3 tone camo too  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

The Arma kit's brill, I've had one for some time, but I've yet to come up with a Whiff idea to use it yet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Well you have a wiffy idea now matey  :thumbsup: and i would recommend that you go with that idea with that Hurricane since you have or didnt have a plan for it  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 20, 2022, 02:00:48 PM
The Arma kit's brill, I've had one for some time, but I've yet to come up with a Whiff idea to use it yet.

It does look rather tasty in the box. Hopefully start cutting plastic over the weekend.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Started cutting plastic so I thought I'd share my first impressions.

On the down side the sprue gates are disappointing. Rather large and in some awkward locations, especially on some of the very delicate ones. Some parts, like the cockpit framing are very easy to damage on removal because of the strain put on them as you cut/trim the gates.

Still not a show stopper by any means and most are simple to deal with using a sharp blade and some home made sanding sticks  :thumbsup:

The fit is exceptional and the parts click together with a very positive feel. Lots of location aids  :thumbsup:

The one thing I would say to help location of parts is to just drill some  of the location holes out a little wider and fraction deeper. Minimum effort for which the reward is  :bow:

Overall I'm very impressed so far  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

This sounds like a rather nice kit ..very interested to see pics as the quality seems to be up there Chris.

NARSES2

Been out and about and catching up with some old school friends etc the past week, so no progress. Hopefully back down to the bench this coming week.

NARSES2

I've now got this assembled and she's ready for the paint shop, hopefully get her primed tomorrow.

The one thing as per normal nowadays is that I'm left with a feeling that most of the work put into the interior is a waste of time ? It's all very nice and detailed and you spend a fair time building and painting it, close the fuselage halves together though and 75% of it disappears into the darkness. Even with the aid of an open canopy of which you are provided with an open and closed option. Still no great shakes and I'll see if it influences the time I spend on my Mk II  :angel:

Still I'm enjoying the build.

Wardukw

Have the same issues with interiors..tobgo nuts or not.
That brand new 32nd scale Lancaster..full interior detail..you could go mental painting and detailing the inside of that and at nearly $1800NZ for it you'd probably want to ..but whats thr point..you wont see 90% of it..armour has the same issues and ya wont find me going nuts there unless its got a big back door  ;D

NARSES2

Got her primed and unfortunately that's highlighted more p.s.r. than I was expecting. Most of that, if not all of it, is down to where I thought I'd cleaned sprue gates up, but when you get primer on them they show up rather like a joint mark on timber  :-\ Still I'll sit down and have a session tomorrow.

Spey_Phantom

looking forward to seeing it finished  :mellow:

PS: you misspelled "Orkaan" it has 2 a's.  ;)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

NARSES2

Progress  :thumbsup: 2 of the eventually 3 colour main camouflage and the rudder striping painted. Should get the third colour done over the next couple of days and then it's transfers and finishing.

NARSES2

Right paintwork complete and transfers on, so I'm on finals and should get her finished this coming week.

As I'm nearly there I thought I'd bring a few of my earlier comments about the kit together all in one place, especially as ARMA's kits do seem to be receiving rave reviews in the UK modelling press.

Detail is superb and fit is excellent, albeit a tad tight in places and it does occasionally need a helping hand with a sanding stick or pin drill. However be aware the plastic is soft and the sprue gates numerous and large, especially on some of the tiny parts where they are a p.i.a. if I'm honest. Clean up requires a sharp blade, patience and better eyesight than mine.

Is it worth it ? I'd say yes and it will be interesting to see what their Mustang and Wildcat are like, although I've read some "interesting" stories about the Wildcat's undercarriage.