A Dutch Orkaan- Part 2

Started by NARSES2, July 20, 2022, 06:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right here we are finished

A Hawker Orkaan Mk I (Metal wing) of the 1.II.1 (1. Ja Va) (First Fighter Squadron) Shipol, The Netherlands, August 1939.

One of the 12 metal winged Hurricanes shipped to the Dutch in August 1939 and unveiled to the Dutch public in its handsome Dutch AF colour scheme at Shipol airport on the 28th August 1939. (see the backstory on the fabric wing build https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=50643.15 for the background to this)

This is the Arma Hobby kit and is very nice, if a little fussy in places with some awkward and chunky sprue gates, finished mainly with Hataka's Dutch WWII AF colours and using transfers from a Special Hobby Fokker D.XXI.

At the end of the day and if you only want to build one Hurricane Mk I and can accept it's a fabric wing version, then I would honestly say go for the Airfix kit unless you really want a later metal winged version. Yes, the Arma kit's detail is finer, but the Airfix kit builds slightly easier, just watch the undercarriage assembly. There isn't much to separate them to be honest.

I have Arma's Mk IIC in the stash and will be building that shortly, so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Early and late/Fabric and metal

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

:thumbsup:

I need to build more Hurricanes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on August 27, 2022, 06:29:13 AMI need to build more Hurricanes.

Everyone needs to build more Hurricanes! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Pretty build, Narses.
And thanks for the kit review. I wasn't even aware of the Arma brand... :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 27, 2022, 06:33:01 AMEveryone needs to build more Hurricanes! ;D

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

And your Orkaan is a thing of wonder in that scheme Chris, it really looks the part. And the 'double' pic most impressive too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Love it Chris  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
And we are all in agreement..more Hurricanes needed  ;D and now i want one damn it  :banghead:  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.