Tupolev Tu-13 Kanberra

Started by PR19_Kit, July 29, 2022, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on August 16, 2022, 02:11:38 PM
Quote from: Gondor on August 16, 2022, 02:02:37 PM

Russian engines have the impression of being BIG, not just the intakes but the exhausts as well.

I have read somewhere about centrifugal jets being larger in appearance then axial jets, is it the explanation?

Yes, centrifugals are fatter by definition. I don't have any 1/48 anything though, I only build 1/72 or 1/144 airliners.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

This is an interesting project!

Tophe,
Here's a visual example of the difference between centrifugal and axial engines:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 16, 2022, 02:58:53 PM

I don't have any 1/48 anything though, I only build 1/72 or 1/144 airliners.

Surely some of the larger 1/44 Fan engines have a larger intake than a lot of 1/72 engines so maybe use a couple or more of them and larger tubes for the exhausts, just don't narrow the body of the engine after the new intake.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on August 17, 2022, 01:05:37 AM

Surely some of the larger 1/44 Fan engines have a larger intake than a lot of 1/72 engines so maybe use a couple or more of them and larger tubes for the exhausts, just don't narrow the body of the engine after the new intake.

They certainly do, it's a technique I've used on almost all my Canberra Whiffs in recent years, and it's always amazed me that BAe didn't do that for real, like Boeing did with the KC-135.

The problem is that a 1/1/44 engine is much shorter than the Canberra's nacelles, and there'd need to be a TON of PSR added to the Canberra bits. I'm working on alternatives though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 17, 2022, 01:51:01 AM

The problem is that a 1/1/44 engine is much shorter than the Canberra's nacelles, and there'd need to be a TON of PSR added to the Canberra bits. I'm working on alternatives though.

Plastic tubing or drop tank of roughly the same eternal diameter will enable you to position the engine front where you want it, forward, back, up or down and reduce the amount of PSR required. If the engine was raised or lowered then a section of tubing would also reduce the amount of PSR with that adjustment as well. Of course none of the above will eliminate the PSR but it should reduce it which is always a good thing.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Here's the latest addition to the build list for this device, an A Model Yak 28NM kit.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ignore all the writing on the box lid, that comes from when I was going to  cross-kit it into a Mandrake. But it looks as if the engine's size will allow me to go back to my original plan for this build. Much joy!  ;D

Having said that, finding the engines in the mass of flash and monster sprue gates that are part and parcel of many A Model kits isn't easy, but I've got so far  with it.

The shock cone that's meant to fit in the intake has no less than FOUR parts, none of which actually fit each other, and need some considerable work to ensure that they do, but it sort of looks the part. I just hope I can get it to fit in where it's meant to go....

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Actually, Kit, the correct translation is "Yak-28PM". ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I'll take your word for it Comrade.  ;D

Sadly it won't improve the 'quality' of the kit, the word 'quality' being used here in its WIDEST possible sense!  :-\

I've got one engine assembled now, plus I've hacked one wing of the Kanberra too, and things are looking promising.  ;D

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I used a Tu-28 kit in my Martin B-57e Super Canberra model:

I had to significantly lengthen the wing though...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2022, 10:09:49 PMI used a Tu-28 kit in my Martin B-57e Super Canberra model:

I REALLY like that Brian.  :thumbsup:

And of COURSE you had to lengthen the wing..................   ;D

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 29, 2022, 04:11:27 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on August 28, 2022, 10:09:49 PMI used a Tu-28 kit in my Martin B-57e Super Canberra model:

I REALLY like that Brian.  :thumbsup:

And of COURSE you had to lengthen the wing..................   ;D

Just happened naturally, your honour, honest!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

And here's the starboard half of what it will look like eventually.  ;)  ;D

The hole in the top of the green bit of the fuselage will be filled after I've poured enough Liquid Gravity in there to keep the hose wheel on the deck.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

I see where you are going with that and I like it  :thumbsup:

Gondor