Supermarine Type 545 Swiftsure F.1

Started by The Wooksta!, August 24, 2022, 12:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Thanks, Kit!  :thumbsup:
I admit i'm not a big fan of the Swift. I know very little about it and it's development so this one was new to me.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

My knowledge of these aircraft is less than limited so i know smeg all about em but ..yup a but..its a bloody lovely little model Lee..very very nice  :thumbsup:  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

andrewj

Nice little model , but , an in service 545 would have had a revised nose intake , somewhat similar to that of a F86D .

PR19_Kit

And that would have been a pity, that nose makes the 545 quite special, as well its crescent wings of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: andrewj on August 25, 2022, 10:48:53 PMNice little model , but , an in service 545 would have had a revised nose intake , somewhat similar to that of a F86D .

Only in real life.
 :wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

There was a limited run of 30 F1s, before Vickers-Supermarine tooled for the F2 and the RB106 Thames had production difficulties that took some time to solve. 

The F1s largely went to second line units after they were superseded by the F2, mainly 79 (Shadow) sqn and 4 FTS at RAF Valley to supplement the Type 554 Swiftsure T4 two seat trainers.

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Glenn Gilbertson

Good job, Lee - I've always liked that crescent wing. :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 25, 2022, 11:13:58 AMTSR2 was going to get the three row SNEBs, so I just went sideways.

That was bugging me so I had a look at the two refference books I have. Both of them backed up what I said earlier. However they could be wrong and mistakes do get coppied, I simply think more proof is needed, regardless the back story can always be adjusted as needed.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

TsrJoe said TSR2* was to get the three row pods that the Navy used, so they would likely Ave gone into widespread RAF use.

*That source on that subject? I know who I believe.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 30, 2022, 02:23:16 PMTsrJoe said TSR2* was to get the three row pods that the Navy used, so they would likely Ave gone into widespread RAF use.

*That source on that subject? I know who I believe.

Actually Lee that is the same information that I was saying as the Navy used a three row 2" rocket pod. I was wrong to say the RAF used 57mm as that is Soviet rockets as I found out in a chat with TsrJoe earlier today. The RAF used 68mm rocket SNEB which is 2.677 inches so roughly 25% bigger rockets than the ones the RN used.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....