Airfix 1/48 Vampire-RAE Meteorological Research Flight. Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 26, 2022, 01:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on August 27, 2022, 06:53:53 PMI like the Vampire..twin boom aircraft i like alot even tho i cant sit in one of these and yes i have tried  ;D
Looking forward to this Nick  :thumbsup:

One of them was the first jet I ever flew in, with 23 Sqdn.  but I can't remember where that was. I could just fit in it then, when I was 17-18 or so.

When I tried to get in an ex-FA T22 at Yeovilton some years ago, there was NO way I could have closed the canopy, even without The Hat.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Kit it seems like me aint the only one   :lol:
This plane..well fuselage was under this dudes house ..its a complete plane ..even has the 20mm cannons which are not the original guns for this plane but at the same it used and these were rescued from the sea ..rusty as hell but not that bad really.
I came across this bird when a mate asked me for a lift and low and behold..a Vampire jet fighter.
As for me..well i was about 115kgs at the time and still 6'2..strangely i still am  ;D
As for the canopy..umm yeah ..no..not a chance...guess ppl in those days were alot shorter and way thinner.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2022, 05:17:21 AMI've been thinking about a canard Vampire with the booms coming out the front of the wings.

Sharpen the leading edge of the canard and it's a cable cutter  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on August 28, 2022, 05:17:21 AMI've been thinking about a canard Vampire with the booms coming out the front of the wings.
Would that be a triplex-boomer? (the canard foreplanes being hold by boom1+ boom2 + central pod)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on September 08, 2022, 02:04:38 AMWould that be a triplex-boomer? (the canard foreplanes being hold by boom1+ boom2 + central pod)
I may add principle sketches, on P-38 basis, that may apply to Vampire as well:

from left to right: triplex-boom, twin-boom, twin-boom.
= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/P38_persp_L_ap.jpg

AeroplaneDriver

Well after almost 2 months away from the bench I FINALLY made it back with tonight and made some progress on my Vampire. 

As originally planned it will be an RAF Meteorological Research Flight aircraft with some modifications for inflight icing studies.

It's looking a bit cartoonish in its colours at the moment but Im hoping with some decals and weathering it looks a bit less "Captain Scarlet".  I'm wishing it'd used grey for the base instead of white but masking everything to repaint the white will completely kill my newly found Mojo. So I'll rely on weathering to tone it down

The metallic intake and leading edge areas are heated for anti-icing and the black painted strip on the leading edge it to make icing easier to detect if it spreads beyond the heated areas.  The barber pole probe will also have a further extension added during "fiddly bits" stage. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

That's looks very cool ..strangely those colours work with that shape and they don't look out of place for its intended job...weathering will tone it down but it's still gonna look very bright and colourful  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Scheme looks perfectly appropriate to me, mate, :thumbsup:

(But, then, I think most research plane schemes look a bit cartoonish ;) )

And the back story/idea works well. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Good news! :thumbsup:
The new nose is great, even if the front end of the boom is outside the photo frame. ;)
Uh, concerning the rear, I don't understand, with at least 2 possibilities;:
1/ this is another boom, rear, completing the nose boom; there is no jet exhaust, this is a glider
2/ what is inside the jet exhaust is a pencil to hold it correctly, temporarily, of course later the jet exhaust will be a clean nozzle.
Which one? <_<

Captain Canada

Oooh that's looking sweet !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

As hoped it looks better with decals on I think. A little light weathering next then fiddly bits and onto a stand for an inflight display.

Tophe, the stick in the engine is purely a handle for painting. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Roundels bring her to life  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on October 02, 2022, 08:09:58 PMTophe, the stick in the engine is purely a handle for painting. 
I understand, and the new photo is perfect (this whif model is perfect) :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Yeah that looks great man...the decals really brought it to life ;D  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Yep, stickery things have done the job of bringing the scheme together nicely! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est