Airfix 1/48 Vampire-RAE Meteorological Research Flight. Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, August 26, 2022, 01:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

As jet aircraft became more capable of flying in all weathers, it once again became evident that the greatest threat to aviators was Mother Nature.  In 1954 the RAF began research into inflight icing with a DeHavilland Vampire F.3.  This Vampire was modified with heated wing leading edges and engine intakes, with bleed air from the engine providing the heat source.  This aircraft was used to explore the capabilities of thermal inflight anti-icing systems and contributed to both increased all-weather capabilities for military aircraft, but also increased safety for civilian aviation. 

This model depicts the Vampire operated at the Royal Aircraft Establishment by the Meteorological Research Flight in late 1956.  It is painted in the distinctive red and white scheme that much later became commonly used and known as the "Raspberry Ripple" scheme.  The wings are painted with a black stripe aft of the thermal anti-icing leading edges to make icing more visible as it spread beyond the heated area. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Oh. I Like That!  :wub:
Always really preferred the esthetics of an aircraft with a splash of colour.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Love it!  :thumbsup:

That colour scheme shouts 'Farnborough' at you, doesn't it?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Yep, that came together really well, Nick! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Paint, decals & weathering are all spot-on! :mellow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Ive already given my 2 thumbsup for a Wiffie..this is a beautiful build  ;D .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Thanks for all the kind comments fellas!  Good to finally finish one after a bit of a mojo-lull.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Nick

FAANN-TASTIC! Are you sure it isn't a real world build?   ;D

comrade harps

Whatever.

Captain Canada

Doesn't that just look the part ! Excellent ! Also, somehow how makes the diminutive bird look much bigger.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr