the beau i was talking about

Started by retro_seventies, February 24, 2005, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

ok here she is - shoulder winged bristol beaufighter flying boat.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

John Howling Mouse

Ah-Ah-AH:  "Professional Artist Alert!!!"

Looking good, Ben.

Now, I dare you to build one!!!

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

*slaps his thigh*

build one you say?

BUILD ONE?

i'll start it, but don't expect me to finish it within a few years...in fact i may put a clause in my will leaving you all my started but not finished babies...

i'll try though...new year's resolution and all that...
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

Looking good, retroben, but.....the props are gonna smash the water !

Hard to see the Beau in there, save for the observer dude's post and the tail. Let's see a few more views, eh ? And some camo ! Banff Strike Wing colours ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And as the mighty Baz commands.....BUILD IT ! NOW ! Or at least start it, and we can heap the praise on until you're guilted into finishing her !

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

:wub: Nice addition to the family. Thanks for sharing... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

noxioux

QuoteLooking good, retroben, but.....the props are gonna smash the water !

Hard to see the Beau in there, save for the observer dude's post and the tail. Let's see a few more views, eh ? And some camo ! Banff Strike Wing colours ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And as the mighty Baz commands.....BUILD IT ! NOW ! Or at least start it, and we can heap the praise on until you're guilted into finishing her !

;)
Perhaps an extensible center hull section and floats, like the Seversky Super-clipper?

retro_seventies

now there's a thought....super clipper, eh?

to be honest, i was too busy being excited to get practical - will fiddle with her a bit tomorrow, and then see what's going on with the airfix beaufighter pair that i have lurking in my pile.

lee, i think you're right about the fin area, the standard beau fin looks a bit weak compared with the new fuselage, especially as it looks like, as todd pointed out, that the props are gonna spalsh.

arse.

i'll see what a bit of fiddling turns up....

i'm desperate to know what's going on with ratty's transall flying boat so that i can see how best to make a scratch built hull...

retro_seventies

hey todd, i could gull the wings a bit, but that would be an ARSE to build...

upnorth

Looks nice!

As for the prop in the water issue, perhaps a better solution than deepening the hull would be to re tailor the section of the wings between the engines and fuselage so that they did the "Gull wing" thing like a Beriev BE-12. As I understand it, the only reason the BE-12 had wings like that was to keep its props clear of the water.

Thanks for sharing, I was thinking about doing something similar with Airfix's old 1/72 Blenheim IV a number of years ago, but the kit just didn't seem worth it.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

retro_seventies

Thanks for the advice and kind words Upnorth - all advice gladly taken and mostly heeded!

so anyway, having eschewed sleep as " sooooo last night" i have gone ahead with a quick plan B for the beauboat....

deeper keel, generally stubbier look, with more commonality with the beau lines - being a smaller girl, the original vertical stab may just be big enough - got to work on that nose profile, and the plane will probably end up with more of a cabin and less of a cockpit than regular landbound beaus...

engines also canted up at 5 degrees...

*sigh*

not sure that i like the look of this one half as much as the longer, more elegant version, but this one would probably WORK.

bah.

i'm going to bed.

elmayerle

I think I would've just raised the engines above the wing and resolved the problem that way.  But, this is your "what-if", not mine. :D
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

Quotei'm desperate to know what's going on with ratty's transall flying boat so that i can see how best to make a scratch built hull...
How best to make a scratch built hull?!?!?! Believe me mate, if you knew the bitch of a time I am having with this bugger you'ld say How worst to make a scratch built hull!  :wacko:  :angry:  I'll try to post some in-progress pics for you.

About that prop clearance, howzabout a retractable planing hull, like the... um, oh crap, somebody help me here, what was the name of that thing? Might improve the looks too. The front end on that lower drawing looks suspiciously like a Saro Lerwick, and we all know what a dog that was.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Ah, here we go, the Blackburn B.20, courtesy of Dinger's Aviation Pages

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Aircav

I think your first drawing looks great Ben  :D  :D  :D
And stop blowing Emu's.......................... :o  :blink:

eggs  :P
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Gary

Just wondering why no one suggested a float arrangement like with the He-115 or the Rufe?

Defeats the elegance of the flying boat, however it should be an easier conversion that wouldn't splash props. Maybe a float under each engine?

Or, how about a stepped forward boat hull like on the grumman duck?

Hmmm, high winged bombers to convert to flying boats... B-24, B-25... Hmmm
Getting back into modeling