the beau i was talking about

Started by retro_seventies, February 24, 2005, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Okay, here's an early in-progress shot.

2 lengths of 1/2" balsa white-glued together. Channel gouged in it to accept the fuselage. I didn't worry about getting a snug fit, as I let the putty fill any gaps. That Tamiya putty really grabs! At the rear you can see one area where I went wrong. The fuselage has quite an angle up toward the tail, and rather than try to fill that all with putty I just took another section of balsa, sanded it to fit at the right angle (got it perfect first time. I was proud... for a while) and stuck that on with putty too. Carved the sides off with a knife otherwise it would have taken too much sanding to reduce it enough. Had to be careful not to slip and take it in too deep. Sanded it in even with the fuselage, adding putty along the top edge because I hadn't got the balsa fully halfway up to the widest part, no big deal, and perhaps a blessing as you'll see later.

Oops, Boss just beeped, I'm off to exotic Mississauga.

I'm underwhelmed.  <_<

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Now where was I before I was so rudely interrupted...?

Ah yes, that rear section has caused some grief. You'll notice that because of the method I used to put it there the grain of the wood is not parallel with the rest of it, and that is something I shouldn't have done. As I was using a small woodworking tool to scoop out a delicate curve it started to break away along the grain instead of following on from the rest of the hull. poo-poo (with an english accent)! Putty and a small round file were employed, but the file gets clogged with putty dust easily. I'm still not satisfied with the way it looks at the moment, so I'll take a different tack.

Remember I said that not carving out the fuselage groove deeply might have been a blessing? Well, I think that I have more than enough depth to the hull that I can just carve/sand it down a bit more and then begin all over again to shape the planing surface. This also has the advantage of putting the wings a little closer to the surface, reducing the length of the supports for the wing floats.

OMIGAWD, THE WING FLOATS! I am going to dread carving those little sods.  :blink:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

noxioux

QuoteOMIGAWD, THE WING FLOATS! I am going to dread carving those little sods.  :blink:
Is there any reason you couldn't carve one and cast it? Or are they asymetrical?  That's what I'd do, if possible.  It would save some time, and you could cast a couple of spares for future projects as well.

The Rat

QuoteIs there any reason you couldn't carve one and cast it? Or are they asymetrical?  That's what I'd do, if possible.  It would save some time, and you could cast a couple of spares for future projects as well.
I have a really old Mattel Vacuform machine that I've never even used, but it's packed away at the moment. Also these things are so small that I doubt it's worth it. It's possible that any mistakes might be covered by a layer of paint. The model itself is only 1/220th scale, so future projects are unlikely unless I can talk some model company to concentrate on that particular size.  

retro_seventies

jeez ratty, you got any GOOD news about making a boat hull?

i think it should be feasible for us to manage it though, right? i mean, if NASA can put men on the moon in ships with the computing power of a discman, then a couple of modelers should be able to make a couple of hulls.

or die trying....

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Captain Canada

You guys keep beauing on and on......start beelding !

:P

And if we're doing a boat-build, I'll get back to work on my Lizzie-duck.

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gary

You know... looking at the Marlin reminds me of the Schneider 46 build being done by the IPMS Seattle guys.
Getting back into modeling

Tophe

Quotethe Schneider 46 build being done by the IPMS Seattle guys.
Google does not find a picture, do you have a Web address?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

QuoteYou know... looking at the Marlin reminds me of the Schneider 46 build being done by the IPMS Seattle guys.
SHHHHHH - Don't mention the prone seaplane Hornet - oh **** I just did
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

John Howling Mouse

Monsieur Rat,
Have you ever tried this stuff?

Might find if very easy to shape and mold from:

http://www.castilene.com/
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

The Rat

QuoteMonsieur Rat,
Have you ever tried this stuff?

Might find if very easy to shape and mold from:

http://www.castilene.com/
Hmmmm, sounds tempting. But anything like that will have to wait until we're out of this hole and back to Bailey World Headquarters in Pickering, where I WILL HAVE MY OWN DEDICATED MODELING AREA DAMN IT!!!

T minus 16 months and counting...

retro_seventies

PRONE SEAPLENE HORNET?

that's it.

really.

i'm starting to sweat.

i need....to be alone...with myself.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Gary

RE: Schneider Cup 46.
Have a peek here, this is their website

I'll poke about some more and see if I can find anymore.
Getting back into modeling