Bruce's French Fancy...an Arsenal VG.33

Started by MerlinJones, August 31, 2022, 06:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MerlinJones

The Arsenal VG.33 was yet another of those so-called amazing French types, that were allegedly the best that ever was and yet failed to materialise in time to save Le Belle France from le Boche.
If only.

When I bought this, it had bits missing. As I had a scratching head on, I thopught I'd keep on going and finish the scraps and see if I could make a complete VG.33. Also missing were the decals, which suggested a bit of whiffery might be in order...

First step was to add a layer of thin plastic card to a thicker piece, to make a chunk that will be deep enough to sand into shape.
A soft pencil then gave me the profile of the missing piece.

After much whittling and filing and sanding...

Cockpit detailing, Lazy-Boy style...

The radiator insert was missing, so another was scratched...and I'll be re-visiting that scribed elevator line.

I think I'll go in-flight for this one.
(Did I tell you the undercarriage was missing?)

MerlinJones

The provided undercarriage doors bore no resemblance whatsoever to the holes they were supposed to fill, so out came the plasticard and some Perfect Plastic Putty.
(I did use the kit wheels, which provided me with something to stick my fabricated doors onto).

Looks slightly better sanded clean.

...And with different thicknesses of plastic rod added, to suggest legs behind the doors.

I didn't think a tail skid would be acceptable, so I scrounged a tailwheel from the bits box.
(I believe this to be from a new Airfix Gladiator kit, so at least it's contemporary with the Arsenal).

Slot cut for a stand and I think I might've got away with that tail.

Brass tube guns and pitot added.
Canopy added.
Aerial mast added.
The kit prop and spinner is just dry-fitted at the moment.

I didn't have the 'proper' French decals, so a delve into the depths of my decal depository was deemed desirous!

NARSES2

Terrific build. I've built the Azure kit as I have a bit of a soft spot for French aircraft of that period.  Can probably help with transfers if you need them.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

What a nice looking aeroplane, a bit of a cross between a Spitfire and a Mustang, but with French flavouring.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 01, 2022, 06:42:26 AMWhat a nice looking aeroplane, a bit of a cross between a Spitfire and a Mustang, but with French flavouring.  :thumbsup:

I often thought it looked a bit like the Fiat G.55 and Maachi 202
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

For a French aircraft that looks rather normal as we all know that our French mates did come up with some pretty strange looking birds .
I like this..Kits right ..it has Spitfire and Mustang looks about it ..the stratch building involved is simple and affective ..looking forward to seeing more of this  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

MerlinJones

Thanks guys...

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 01, 2022, 06:29:03 AMTerrific build. I've built the Azure kit as I have a bit of a soft spot for French aircraft of that period.  Can probably help with transfers if you need them.

Ta, but I did another as it should've been;

Any road, back to the whiffy build...

So June, 1940 and a lone Frenchman, fighting Bf.109s over the Channel, shoots down three before he too is shot down.
However, rather than ditch his aircraft in the briny, he manages to glide over the English coast, crash-landing in Blighty, carefully shepherded by a flight of Spits, to their nearby airfield.
As his exploits were witnessed by the group of Spitfire pilots, he quickly became adopted by them as 'Frenchy' and his aircraft given a thorough once-over by the excited erks.
As it happened, little damage had been done to the aircraft and, rather than hand it over to the Boffins, it was surrepticiously camouflaged and absorbed into the squadron.
The Battle of Britain was soon upon those glorious Few and, fighting hard amongst them, for his beloved Belle France, Frenchy soon racked up enough kills to become an Ace and more.
Sadly, the Boffins got to hear of his aircraft and it was comandeered for further analysis, leaving Frenchy to fly in a Spitfire, along with the rest of the squadron.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Looks good ! Great work on the scratch parts, fit right in at the end !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

comrade harps

Whatever.