Ryan FR-1 Fireball, VF-21 March 1945 *finished*

Started by sandiego89, September 04, 2022, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

A Stoof paint-b!#ch! How rude! :o

S-2's are far too pretty an aircraft for such an ignominious fate! :angry:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Quote from: loupgarou on June 24, 2023, 08:44:15 AMI suppose you spent the time from last september sandng away the thickness of the plastic sheet from the parts. It's the most annoying part of vacuform builds IMO  :rolleyes: .

This man has spoken great truth!  Whew, dust everywhere. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 24, 2023, 09:02:20 AMA Stoof paint-b!#ch! How rude! :o

Ha!  This Stoof was picked up at model swap meet in a ziplock bag, missing decals, cockpit glass and a few other bits, so it was never destined for greatness. But she lives to support others!
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Need to cut out the landing gear panels.

Lower wing mated

upper wings mated.  Using Krazy glue- works very well. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

Wow that looks a lot like a Zero at this stage!
Vacuform is quite a job. Looking good!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Never built a Vacform kit and with luck..never will  ;D
I'll leave that to you other blokes so I can sit back and enjoy other ppls builds 😉
Like this one  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

loupgarou

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 24, 2023, 09:53:01 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on June 24, 2023, 08:44:15 AMI suppose you spent the time from last september sandng away the thickness of the plastic sheet from the parts. It's the most annoying part of vacuform builds IMO  :rolleyes: .

This man has spoken great truth! Whew, dust everywhere. 

:o  I used to use a sheet of abrasive paper contact-glued to a glass plate, and worked under running water (just a drip, actually)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 24, 2023, 09:57:11 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 24, 2023, 09:02:20 AMA Stoof paint-b!#ch! How rude! :o

Ha!  This Stoof was picked up at model swap meet in a ziplock bag, missing decals, cockpit glass and a few other bits, so it was never destined for greatness. But she lives to support others!

As a former S-2E/G maintainer, it still doesn't sit right with me but I'll let it pass. :rolleyes:  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on June 24, 2023, 12:13:08 PM:o  I used to use a sheet of abrasive paper contact-glued to a glass plate, and worked under running water (just a drip, actually)

Yes, my method is pretty much the same.

I have a LARGE oval mirror with 3-4 sheets of 400 grit wet & dry Evo-Stuck to the back of it, and then I squeeze a small damp sponge over it during a sanding session. Having a large flat area gives you a better chance of NOT sanding away a vital part of the model as you go on.

(Don't ask me how I know this..... :( )
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on June 24, 2023, 12:13:08 PM:o  I used to use a sheet of abrasive paper contact-glued to a glass plate, and worked under running water (just a drip, actually)

Basically the way I used to do it. I still have a vacform Vickers Windsor in the stash. Can't see me ever getting around to it, but one never knows.

I've always liked the Fiireball. Built the Pegasus kit years ago.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

I know there are much easier routes to a Fireball, but wanted the thought that comes with trying something new:

There is a funny saying based on the famous speech by US President Kennedy:

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought the would be easy...."   

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 25, 2023, 02:31:59 AM(Don't ask me how I know this..... :( )

was my biggest fear, think I left it too thick in a few places.
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on June 24, 2023, 11:51:00 AMWow that looks a lot like a Zero at this stage!

I had the same thought, very Zero like from some angles. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 25, 2023, 05:43:34 AMBasically the way I used to do it. I still have a vacform Vickers Windsor in the stash. Can't see me ever getting around to it, but one never knows.

Funny that, I have one of those in The Loft too, loooooong narrow box for a loooooong narrow aeroplane.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Yikes, time to cut the canopy off to be replaced by the vacuform (thin) canopy. 

Rear armor plate scratched up. The Fireball had an interesting, large canopy. 

Scratched up seat, instrument panel, side consoles....  .10 and .30 sheet styrene.

Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.