Ryan FR-1 Fireball, VF-21 March 1945 *finished*

Started by sandiego89, September 04, 2022, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2023, 05:49:35 AMComing along nicely  :thumbsup:
Yes indeed. But building the cockpit interior after having glued the fuselage halves looks to me as a masochism exercise like building a ship in a bottle...
You are a stronger soul than me.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

Quote from: loupgarou on June 26, 2023, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 26, 2023, 05:49:35 AMComing along nicely  :thumbsup:
Yes indeed. But building the cockpit interior after having glued the fuselage halves looks to me as a masochism exercise like building a ship in a bottle...
You are a stronger soul than me.

the whole effort is a bit of self-punishment!  I would have preferred to build the cockpit first, but was having a hard time figuring where the cuts for the canopy would be and where things would sit after I cut it off.  The canopy seemed to be quite important to the overall rigidity of the fuselage while mating the halves, so I didn't want to cut it off before mating the halves.

Did I mention no landing gear gear either?  :banghead:   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

It has a fairly large canopy so you might be able to make a simple cockpit up and "drop" it in. Use a couple of pieces of sprue glued to the bottom of it to gauge the height and then fix them to the inside of the fuselage ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

The Fireball lives! scratched up landing gear from brass tube.

Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

Great stuff Dave 😀
Love that blue ..it's a nice dark deep blue..one of my favorite colours 😍 👌
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

sandiego89

With the devastating kamikaze attacks of mid and late 1944, the deployment of the Ryan FR1 Fireball was expedited.  The Fireball was deemed to be a good candidate to intercept incomings raids, as it could loiter economically on the forward engine, or climb rapidly by engaging the rear jet engine.  VF-21 fresh off combat operations with the Hellcat was re-equipped with the Fireball and undertook a conversion course at NAAS Brown Field before deploying to the Pacific about the USS FANSHAW BAY CVE-70.  The FANSHAW BAY and her airwing of Fireballs and a small detachment of the newly radar equipped Avengers for night intercept, were purely dedicated to fleet air defense and played a significant role in fleet defense for the assault on Okinawa in March 1945. 

The Kit: 1/72 The Eagles Talon FR1 Fireball, vacuform.
by Sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

TomZ

Look very good.

Hats off for creating such a good model from the vacform kit.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

chrisonord

Very nice, Vacdorm kits still make me want ti hide behind the couch. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on February 17, 2024, 09:22:39 AMLook very good.

Hats off for creating such a good model from the vacform kit.

TomZ

My thoughts exactly Tom  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu