A Tiger Force Hornet

Started by NARSES2, September 05, 2022, 06:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on December 03, 2022, 10:12:38 AMHow about Mossie tanks??

Must admit that was the route my brain was taking, or something similar anyway.  Or I may just fit the bomb racks supplied in the kit and then use those to mount drop tanks which could be ditched if the need to mix it with any Japanese defenders should arise ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Jetisonable tanks would make more sense for a fighter, I would think.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

The hornet had a range of 1500 miles or so ..so if longer range is needed then drop tanks would be fine ..a couple of 200 lmp gallon ( 240 US gallons ) tanks is what it used or if ground attack is used ..bombs baby bombs  :thumbsup:
Or for something completely different..rocket pods ..nope don't use those..I want to put those on mine ..when I get it.that is  :unsure:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Well I finally got going on this again. Got some detail painting done, a fair bit actually and started to assemble the nacelles. They will need some psr, but not to much. Over the next couple of days I'll hopefully get the fuselage together and then I'll see just how well the internals fit  :angel:

One disappointment is definitely the main wheels. The moulding isn't that sharp to put it mildly. Tempted to find another pair in the spares box, but then noticed that the KP Tempest kits have two sets of main wheels and they are almost the same size as the Hornets. Slightly greater diametre and not quite as  "wide". I'll probably paint a pair up and as one of the last things I normally do when it comes to finishing is fit the wheels, I've plenty of time to make my mind up.

Determined to finish this as the Hornet is one of my 3 favourite aircraft. As you ask  :angel: the other 2 are the Hawker Tempest Mk II and the Spitfire XVIII.  (Closely followed by very early Spitfire Mk I's and Westland Whirlwinds)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Glad to hear this one is progressing.  Been looking forward to seeing it. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Wooksta!

TBH, one wheel in the Hornet is okay, t'other is cack. If you've a second, steal the good wheel from it.  I did intend moulding the good wheel, or indeed the Heller Tempest wheel, but never did get round to it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Got some more work done today. Just about finished the detail painting and the seat belts are fitted. Got the engine nacelles together, small tip it's easier to fit the rear wheel well bulkhead after you've assembled the nacelles. Next step is to fix the cockpit into one fuselage half and get the wings assembled and cleaned up before starting on major construction.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 18, 2023, 08:05:40 AMTBH, one wheel in the Hornet is okay, t'other is cack. If you've a second, steal the good wheel from it.  I did intend moulding the good wheel, or indeed the Heller Tempest wheel, but never did get round to it.

I've a couple of spare Tempest wheels from the KP set and I might use those, although I'm concerned they might be a little on the skinny side compared to the ones in the kit. I've had a go at cleaning the kit ones up and I'll see what they look like painted. Mind you the Special Hobby resin ones look quite nice. Might see what they look like ? Decisions, decisions  :angel:

Captain Canada

Nice. Looking forward to seeing some more of this one/ Lovely little machines !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Wings are assembled and go together with very little hassle at all, just a little sanding of the undercarriage bay sides to reduce their height. One nacelle has had the very little psr it needed, the other required a shim of plastic card before psr, which was my fault entirely. Started fitting the cockpit to the side walls of the fuselage, but it's taking a bit longer than normal as the super glue is taking a little longer to complete "go off" in this cold weather and I want it to really harden before proceeding. So hopefully finish that tomorrow.

The Wooksta!

I had similar issues although I never finished mine but it is together.  Next time I'll simply ignore them.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Right the cockpit is fitted into the fuselage and is a nice fit. I fitted the instrument panel after I'd got the rest of the cockpit fitted as that helped avoid any fit issues. Haven't joined the fuselage halves yet, but a test fit shows it goes together well and will require very little p.s.r. once fitted.

I've also attached the nacelles to the wings and with some gentle p.s.r. (mainly to remove some rough edges left from the casting process) they to were a nice fit. Again some p.s.r. will be needed, but not much as much as I was fearing.

NARSES2

All major sub assemblies are now together and will need a little psr, but nothing drastic, and some of it will be down to me anyway.

I'm going to prime the wings white before I attach them to the fuselage as that will make the ID bands easier to do. I have to keep reminding myself that this is to be of an RAF Tiger Force aircraft and not a BPF machine. I think that's down to it having BPF roundels, but anyway it meant I had to think of squadron codes for it. However the more I look at SEAC aircraft the more I start to realise that very few seemed to carry squadron codes, but just the individual aircraft code. So, especially as I'll be pushed for space, I've decided that she will not just carry an individual aircraft code but also have an all white tail appendage. The later will be the squadron ID, different squadrons having different colours/striping on their tails and tail planes. The later being done mainly at the insistence of the USAAF who wanted some means to identify RAF squadrons if "they got in the way of things".

Anyway this means that I need to wait until the temperatures rise a little, probably end of this week, as spraying will use Halfords spray cans and be done on the balcony. Neither they or me like or perform that well in  the cold I'm afraid  :angel: 

The Wooksta!

Tiger Force roundels will depend on where the aircraft is based.  Iwo Jima with the US forces means BPF markings, elsewhere standard SEAC.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: