A Tiger Force Hornet

Started by NARSES2, September 05, 2022, 06:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

An aluminium Mossie?  That sounds weird ... I know you're just talking about paint, but still - that tickled my funny bone.  :)  I'm with you, Narses2 - I can't stand a bare metal aircraft - I never build them.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

The Hornets would have been delivered in Med Sea Grey over PRU Blue,

There's some doubt over the use of Azure Blue in the far east, especially on Mosquitoes, as its all to do with interpreting black and white photos. MSG as the same tonal values as Azure Blue.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2022, 01:27:13 PMAn aluminium Mossie?  That sounds weird ... I know you're just talking about paint, but still - that tickled my funny bone.  :)  I'm with you, Narses2 - I can't stand a bare metal aircraft - I never build them.

I once saw a Mossie on a website that was NMF and had been given the rivet tool-treatment.  Looked very odd.  Poor builder was ridiculed mercilessly.   I seem to remember telling him to post it over here but I don't think he did. 

I love NMF but just can't find a paint I really like for a realistic finish.  I miss the Testors Metalizer rattle cans.  They were quite good.  I have no interest in all the alchemy of Alcad and none of the acrylic metallics I've tried really give the same effect as the Metalizer paints did.  US craft/household spray can maker Krylon have an Aluminum I recently tried that looks like it has promise so maybe I'll give it a try on something soon.  Got to get back to the bench first though. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Sport21ing

I know that this wasn't planned in OTL, and neither it is planned to be painted in your Hornet, but regardless, imagine a fighter painted with the same white/black scheme as the bombers?  ;D
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

zenrat

AD - try car paint from rattle cans for NMF.  There is a large range of silvers to choose from.
I'd love to have seen the NMF Mossie.  It may have been deliberate.  I've long planned a rusty Chevrolet Corvette which could well attract ridicule from the unenlightened.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

High Speed Silver paint.
There was a discussion on it somewhere recently. Some sort of an aluminium color, I think.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 07, 2022, 08:31:32 AMHalfords Aluminium is your best friend.

If I do have to go down the Al route then that is what I tend to use, but unfortunately it does tend to expose my finishing abilities  :-\  Quality control very seldom pay a visit to my bench I'm afraid, not intentional but  :-\  Also my nearest Halfords is a tad awkward to get to by public transport.

For smaller areas of metal work I still have a few tins of Humbrol's marvellous Metal Cote range, plus their long gone Authentics range has some great metal colours in the "Ancients" sets and I still have a fair few of those as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Sport21ing on September 08, 2022, 02:37:18 AMI know that this wasn't planned in OTL, and neither it is planned to be painted in your Hornet, but regardless, imagine a fighter painted with the same white/black scheme as the bombers?  ;D

That's an interesting idea. Could well be an experimental airframe ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 07, 2022, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Scotaidh on September 07, 2022, 01:27:13 PMAn aluminium Mossie?  That sounds weird ... I know you're just talking about paint, but still - that tickled my funny bone.  :)  I'm with you, Narses2 - I can't stand a bare metal aircraft - I never build them.

I once saw a Mossie on a website that was NMF and had been given the rivet tool-treatment.  Looked very odd.  Poor builder was ridiculed mercilessly.  I seem to remember telling him to post it over here but I don't think he did. 

Backstory could go down the route of "De Haviland built an aluminium version of the Mosquito post war specifically for service in the Far East" ?

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 07, 2022, 01:33:45 PMThe Hornets would have been delivered in Med Sea Grey over PRU Blue,

:thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:00:05 AMBackstory could go down the route of "De Haviland built an aluminium version of the Mosquito post war specifically for service in the Far East" ?

Absolutely, but using Kit's 2nd Law in reverse means you'd then have to add a million rivets to that lovely smoooooth airframe.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2022, 06:02:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:00:05 AMBackstory could go down the route of "De Haviland built an aluminium version of the Mosquito post war specifically for service in the Far East" ?

Absolutely, but using Kit's 2nd Law in reverse means you'd then have to add a million rivets to that lovely smoooooth airframe.  :banghead:

Putty is your friend. Was it the Mustang that had that treatment ? You'd still need panel lines, but then use Chris's First Law " could you honestly see those panel lines from 72 feet away even with decent eyesight ?"  ;) So just do some

PR19_Kit

;D  ;D  ;D  :thumbsup:

Yes, the Mustang did have its wings PSRd to preserve its laminar flow.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Mustang wings were also painted, but the fuselages were left unpainted.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:00:05 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on September 07, 2022, 01:49:14 PM

I once saw a Mossie on a website that was NMF and had been given the rivet tool-treatment.  Looked very odd.  Poor builder was ridiculed mercilessly.  I seem to remember telling him to post it over here but I don't think he did. 

Backstory could go down the route of "De Haviland built an aluminium version of the Mosquito post war specifically for service in the Far East" ?

My thinking exactly. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....