A Tiger Force Hornet

Started by NARSES2, September 05, 2022, 06:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2022, 06:02:03 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 08, 2022, 06:00:05 AMBackstory could go down the route of "De Haviland built an aluminium version of the Mosquito post war specifically for service in the Far East" ?

Absolutely, but using Kit's 2nd Law in reverse means you'd then have to add a million rivets to that lovely smoooooth airframe.  :banghead:

Nah - flush-riveted.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

The aluminium Mossie could have its panels glued to its frame.
No need for rivets then.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Continuing to make progress on various sub-assemblies, indeed the paint will have to come out soon.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Got some motivation back and made a little more progress  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Looking forward to more Chris..ive got a F18 on its way to here very shortly  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Now that the 109 is complete I got this one back on the bench and realised I've built it in rather an odd way, for me at least. I've just about built every sub-assembly you can and haven't even been near it with some paint yet. So it's about time the paint came out and I got some work done on the interior and then I can start bringing all those sub-assemblies together.

So Interior Green here we come, and yes I know a lot of it was probably/possibly black or aluminium, but my excuse is that as it was built for use in the Far East the Air Ministry wanted it protected from the climate and while they had the paint out De Havilland did the cockpit as well.

The Wooksta!

Hornet cockpits were definitely black, with the seats the same odd brown as Spitfire seats.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 01, 2022, 06:07:40 AMHornet cockpits were definitely black, with the seats the same odd brown as Spitfire seats.

I've had some second thoughts on this (I was feeling lazy yesterday) and whilst something else is drying out enough for some creative sanding I will go down the black route for the cockpit as it'll save time in the end. As for the seat ? Thanks Lee I was wondering if it was that colour or not  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Got some primer on various bits this morning. This afternoon is Uruguay v Ghana, some history behind this one  ;)

Gondor

Always a good go to for Brittish cockpits around that time frame is as the Rolling Stones would say...... "Paint It Black"

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Got a little bit of painting done this morning and sorted out the rear wheel well bulkheads.

Have to make a decision now though. I was originally planning on fitting the long range fuel tanks on the basis that a Tiger Force aircraft would need as much range as it could get. However I really don't like the way that the tank pylons protrude in front of the wing's leading edge, completely spoils the aesthetics of the Hornet to my mind. Besides that I can find very, very few photos of Hornets with the tanks fitted, and most of those are Sea Hornets. Still probably got a couple of weeks to mull it over.

At least I'm making progress  :thumbsup:  Normally post Telford it takes me at least a month or so to get started up again. Must be tat visit to A&E  ;)

Dizzyfugu

How about a large conformal belly tank as alternative (Like a Bf 110 "Dackelbauch")?

PR19_Kit

One from an Attacker might work? Mind you, it comes from the competition, Supremarine..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Next yr I am definitely getting a Hornet..it's a twin I've never had but want more than any other twin out there.
Gotta be 48th and very likely Hobbyboss.
Oh and the Westland Whirlwind  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .