1/35 Transporter - Hypersonic missile launcher

Started by frank2056, September 09, 2022, 06:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

For my next build, I was thinking of finishing one or two projects that had been languishing on the shelf o'doom. One of my cats had a different idea. Felix the cat (who insists on visiting the model closet daily):

spent more than a few seconds sniffing at the Revell 1/40 Corporal Missile with Transporter. So I decided that it was going to be the next build. I also saw the old NATO MLRS Multiple Launch Rocket System which has been parted out and was a sad sight sitting in its very large box.

The ancient Revell kit dates from 1955 and has moving parts. For a kit this old, the level and quality of the details is pretty good, with only some flash (but on all the parts...) and plenty of ejector pins.

The first thing I did was to pronounce it 1/35 scale (some boxings have listed it as 1/35 - it's definitely 1/40). I didn't like the molded in mesh on the sides of the engine compartment, so I replaced them with plastic sheet.

I'm using the MRLS crew cabin instead of the funky cabanas on the original kit. The MRLS crew cabin was a bit wider than the transporter - and already started - so the fist step was to unglue everything (I used some of the fast acting Tamiya glue).  I then cut the roof and the front (with the windows) in half and shorted them by a few mm. The sides (with the doors) were shortened slightly. The rest of the cabin is made with plastic sheet and a diamond grid floor. Here are the parts just sitting on the model - not everything is glued:

There's a PE mesh inside the engine/battery compartment that does a good job of hiding the void within.

This is where I was earlier today:

It's been a fun project so far - lots of plastic surgery, but the basic kit fits well (many parts press fit together easily) and everything is falling together as planned. I'm not sure what I'll use for a payload. The crew cabin blocks the space for the original Corporal missile's nose, so I can modify the Corporal to fit. I also have the Takom DF-17 Chinese hypersonic missile - which I plan to modify into a US (or NATO) ballistic hypersonic missile anyway. Another option is to use the ICM KUNG shelter, or use it as a reference to make a westernized version.

I was also thinking of some sort of support vehicle,  like this CALTEX oil field service truck build over at Modellversium that caught my eye.

NARSES2

Oh wow, this looks a fantastic project already  :thumbsup:

I definitely wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Felix  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Felix is a very sweet cat - he's meowing to go into the model closet right now. This is one of those projects where you just sit down, start thinking and tinkering and almost everything goes well.

Wardukw

Im liking this Frank..take something very old and crappy and turn it into something very cool  :thumbsup:
I had one of those Terra cruiser models and had zombie plans in mind for it..saddly thats history now..so ill watch your build instead  ;D
Which reminds me of that heli carrier thingy i must finish.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

buzzbomb

Kick back time for another Frank piece. :thumbsup:
Excellent

frank2056

Thanks guys - I have the Teracruzer and Mace Missile kit on the highest shelf (it's a big box...) I dread the day Felix (or his sisters...) sees and paws it "This one next!"

I have the movable launcher section mostly completed. With some care, the major assemblies can be press-fit together. Easy to disassemble for painting.

I started the scramjet for the formerly Chinese DF-17 missile. It's just a box - I have to add the inlet/fuel injector part.

Wardukw

Ya got me intrested again in the teracruzer Frank and then i made the mistake just now of looking for another one  :lol:
Prices aint stupid like some kits so i was chuffed about that but availability is  another matter ..hopefully it gets back here at some point ..strange thing is i cant exactly remember what plans i had for it  :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

The Terracruizer is a commitment. You need room, time and a good plan.

Here's the current state of this project, pretty much held together by tape, gravity or blu-tac. Full transporter, with hypersonic cruise missile launcher:

The two side boosters are plastic knitting needles that my wife gave me. I cut down the main DF-17 booster to fit on the carrier.

I'm not completely done westernizing the DF-17, but I added some fins and a scramjet engine:

Here's a top secret view of the scramjet intake:

A real hypersonic cruise missile would ship and launch from a box:

But whats the fun in that?

Still need to add more fins to the cruise missile, interstage adapter and main booster. plus do all the other fun stuff.

Wardukw

I had already built the one i had Frank and it was once it was done thats when the ideas started to flow..convert to 35th with a brand new cad and full interior and then apocalyptic time  ;D

As for your build mate  :thumbsup:
What i figure is the pic of the real thing is the isssued verison..yours is the prototype ..the original concept which by the way looks far better.

PR19_Kit

Love the look of that scramjet with the Ferri intake.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on September 12, 2022, 05:00:26 PMThe Terracruizer is a commitment. You need room, time and a good plan.

Mine is an F-106 ZELL, similar to SanDiego's CF-104 ZELL (from the 2012 Whiffies)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng