What If and Never Were model subjects: What's the point?

Started by seadude, September 11, 2022, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Well said all.  Nothing further to add other than to say that Mr Lorenzo appears to have no soul.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitbasher on September 12, 2022, 04:55:37 AMWell said all.  Nothing further to add other than to say that Mr Lorenzo appears to have no soul.

A Muggle.

NARSES2

Quote from: comrade harps on September 11, 2022, 08:39:35 PMI do that with my back stories. I research to find out how to twist things. I've learnt bits and pieces about national histories that I would otherwise not thought about exploring.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

The one thing "Whiffery" does as long as you accept it is broaden the mind and help you to accept others, sometimes different, points of view. :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 12, 2022, 05:17:37 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on September 12, 2022, 04:55:37 AMWell said all.  Nothing further to add other than to say that Mr Lorenzo appears to have no soul.

A Muggle.

🤣🤣🤣  good call, Dizzy
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

comrade harps

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 12, 2022, 05:42:37 AM
Quote from: comrade harps on September 11, 2022, 08:39:35 PMI do that with my back stories. I research to find out how to twist things. I've learnt bits and pieces about national histories that I would otherwise not thought about exploring.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

The one thing "Whiffery" does as long as you accept it is broaden the mind and help you to accept others, sometimes different, points of view. :thumbsup:

True. You do have to try and appreciate the perspectives of the various sides when researching and whiffing history.
Whatever.

AeroplaneDriver

Lorenzo sounds like the kind of tedious tool who people actively avoid and fake medical issues to escape conversation with. 

As much as I love an occasional historically accurate "real world" build, I find that I do far more research when building a Whif, because any idiot can look up a few bits on the internet and build something the way it actually appeared.  It takes a bit more in-depth research to come up with a viable backstory for a Whif build.  Understanding the paths not taken is just a fun aspect of modeling and history for me. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

jcf

It's interesting how few of the responses were in line with his outlook.  ;D

As pointed out in the thread some of the real projects had gone through
detail design to the point they were ready to start laying keels. Long lead
assemblies and components etc. on order. Others had their powerplants
fully designed and the systems were under construction.

Other projects weren't as advanced in the process but had gone as far as
hull design testing etc. Some only existed as concept drawings. However
many did exist in the form of models, so one could argue that the ship in
question wasn't actually a fantasy.
;D

Of course this only refers to Real World projects and concepts, which appears
to be his main point of dissatisfaction. I doubt he cares about the models of
completely fictional vessels; Steampunk, Diesel Punk, alt. Victorian etc.

Old Wombat

Quote from: jcf on September 12, 2022, 12:50:50 PMOf course this only refers to Real World projects and concepts, which appears
to be his main point of dissatisfaction. I doubt he cares about the models of
completely fictional vessels; Steampunk, Diesel Punk, alt. Victorian etc.

In fact, I think, if they were sitting on the display immediately in front of him at a show, he probably wouldn't even see them, as his mind would block them out because they couldn't exist.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Beermonster58

I don't have much time for people like that, limited as they are by a very narrow mind and, lack of imagination. For myself, I find it very encouraging that manufacturers are now offering an increasing range of such models. I prefer such "out of the box" types. Modelcollect for example produce a range of very fine WWII type subjects in their "Fist of War series. Mikromir is another manufacturer that has recently been bold enough to branch out into this type of subject.

Clearly there is a market here and, companies are now tapping into it. Long may they continue. It's just a model after all and,surely in a hobby as diverse as ours, there is a place for these? Actually, now I come to think of it, do the nay sayers also criticise " never were" subjects like, for example, Constitution Class starships, Klingon Warbirds, Imperial Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, Imperial Stormtroopers etc, etc and so forth?

I'd argue that every Sci Fi/Fantasy subject falls into the "What if"/ " Never were" category and yet, there is a vast and widely accepted range of models that don't seem to attract the ire of deadbrains like the whiner who wrote the article noted in the original post.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Old Wombat

I would argue that "What If...?" is a sub-genre of the over-arching Science Fiction genre ... or vice-versa  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Beermonster58

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 24, 2022, 03:38:34 AMI would argue that "What If...?" is a sub-genre of the over-arching Science Fiction genre ... or vice-versa  ;)

Good point! :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

kitbasher

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 24, 2022, 03:38:34 AMI would argue that "What If...?" is a sub-genre of the over-arching Science Fiction genre ... or vice-versa  ;)

Vice-versa for me but I'm not arguing the point.

So, further food for thought: do those 'what if' naysayers who don't deride certain sci-fi kits/models (e.g. Star Wars/Trek) behave as such because the subjects originally appeared in other media, and are therefore to their thinking a form of real world subject not 'what if'?

And if any of those manifestations of forum members' imaginations were reproduced in a sci-fi movie/tv show (for example) would they cease to be 'what if' to said naysayers and become (to them) acceptably mainstream sci-fi?

Geoff