What If and Never Were model subjects: What's the point?

Started by seadude, September 11, 2022, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: kitbasher on December 24, 2022, 05:13:05 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on December 24, 2022, 03:38:34 AMI would argue that "What If...?" is a sub-genre of the over-arching Science Fiction genre ... or vice-versa  ;)

Vice-versa for me but I'm not arguing the point.

So, further food for thought: do those 'what if' naysayers who don't deride certain sci-fi kits/models (e.g. Star Wars/Trek) behave as such because the subjects originally appeared in other media, and are therefore to their thinking a form of real world subject not 'what if'?

And if any of those manifestations of forum members' imaginations were reproduced in a sci-fi movie/tv show (for example) would they cease to be 'what if' to said naysayers and become (to them) acceptably mainstream sci-fi?

In regards to both the first and second questions posed by the (dis)honourable gentleman, a definitive "Probably."  To further expand, because these joyless numpties are also unimaginative numpties, it seems.

Quote from: Geoff on December 24, 2022, 05:19:34 AMIt's my toy aeroplane and I will do what I want.  :thumbsup:

;D  ;D  ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

Quote from: Geoff on December 24, 2022, 05:19:34 AMIt's my toy aeroplane and I will do what I want.  :thumbsup:

So a model is considered a "toy"? That's exactly what my stepdad thought. He didn't care for me much building and wasting my time with childish "model toys" when I could have been doing other grownup things. But after a model is fully completed, I don't see it as a toy, but rather as a "work of art". ;) Something to be admired and appreciated like the Mona Lisa or some other famous artwork.

A thought kind of occired to me. What if the people who hate what if and never were stuff also have an underlying hate of the people (Scientists, engineers, inventors, etc.) who think up and create such concepts? They probably think these people are crackpots, bonkers, loony, and whatever else. They probably think "Oh, these guys will never contribute anything worthy to society. Their minds are just filled with non-sensical dribble that won't work and won't amount of much to anything."
Yeah, there may be some inventors and inventions that may be crazy and such. A lot of scientists, inventors, and engineers may be the "underdogs" so to speak when it comes to new ideas. But given time, even the underdogs will rise to the top and claim their fame and rightful place. At some point, their what if and never were ideas will be vindicated. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Geoff

Quote from: seadude on December 24, 2022, 07:09:55 AM

So a model is considered a "toy"? That's exactly what my stepdad thought. He didn't care for me much building and wasting my time with childish "model toys" when I could have been doing other grownup things. But after a model is fully completed, I don't see it as a toy, but rather as a "work of art". ;) Something to be admired and appreciated like the Mona Lisa or some other famous artwork.

A thought kind of occired to me. What if the people who hate what if and never were stuff also have an underlying hate of the people (Scientists, engineers, inventors, etc.) who think up and create such concepts? They probably think these people are crackpots, bonkers, loony, and whatever else. They probably think "Oh, these guys will never contribute anything worthy to society. Their minds are just filled with non-sensical dribble that won't work and won't amount of much to anything."
Yeah, there may be some inventors and inventions that may be crazy and such. A lot of scientists, inventors, and engineers may be the "underdogs" so to speak when it comes to new ideas. But given time, even the underdogs will rise to the top and claim their fame and rightful place. At some point, their what if and never were ideas will be vindicated. ;)

It's a hobby and supposed to be fun. I described my models as toys because in the great scheme of things they are of little import except to us. It is not a slight on any ones modelling efforts, or opinions. Frankly the JMNs can jog on! But if you really want to piss 'em off ask if the paint on their model is scale thickness? Or; intake of breath - were they that colour then? Or if German explain the Il-28 straffer in Ost Front cammo is "Ost Front '56" tends to get a reaction. Or as I found out the worst response I got was on a Luft '46 site where I was roundly criticised for not doing "real luft '46" aircraft after |I did a one man Fatherland build based in the 50s and 60s.- idiots.

jcf

The more limited of the sort do indeed disparage science fiction
as a subject matter for kits produced by the model companies.
Film/TV and original subjects are seen as taking resources away
from proper subjects. Gundam drives them spare because they
feel that Bandai's brilliant kit design and engineering is being
wasted on stupid robots.

Car models also come into the same kind of looking down their
snout attitude from some of this ilk. 

zenrat

Some car modellers are very snooty about any other subject.
They can't see why one would waste their time making a model of something that wasn't a car.

What are the grownup things we are supposed to be doing?
Gambling?  Substance abuse?  Thieving?  Domestic violence?  Philandering?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

For me, whiffing is fun, challenging and creative and is good for my mental health.

There are some grown up things that l'd like to be doing, but alas, Mrs H is past those kind of pleasures. But, l'm straight-edge vegan, so l need some kind of outlet.
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on December 25, 2022, 04:34:18 AMSome car modellers are very snooty about any other subject.
They can't see why one would waste their time making a model of something that wasn't a car.

Even more snootiness abounds with the hard-over manufacturer fans. Perish the thought that a 'Ford modeller' would ever even THINK of building a Chevy or Chrysler kit etc!

And as for actually putting a Chevy engine in a Ford chassis, well, the world would end, even though it's very common in the 1:1 RW.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

1 - It's FUN!

2 - Getting people like Mr. Lorenzo upset is FUN!

3 - Having someone wonder why they never heard of it before is FUN!

4 - Being part of a community of folks who are 'different' is FUN!

5 - Giving someone a chuckle is FUN!

6 - Seeing someone recruited to our style because it's fun is FUN!

7 - Finding a model you built as a child 60 years ago, and making it different because it isn't worth the effort to make it a modern prize-winner is FUN!

8 - Pointing out to snobs that every model is a whiff because nobody ever built a real aircraft, tank or ship, out of polystyrene is FUN!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: The Rat on December 25, 2022, 07:28:49 AM1 - It's FUN!

2 - Getting people like Mr. Lorenzo upset is FUN!

3 - Having someone wonder why they never heard of it before is FUN!

4 - Being part of a community of folks who are 'different' is FUN!

5 - Giving someone a chuckle is FUN!

6 - Seeing someone recruited to our style because it's fun is FUN!

7 - Finding a model you built as a child 60 years ago, and making it different because it isn't worth the effort to make it a modern prize-winner is FUN!

8 - Pointing out to snobs that every model is a whiff because nobody ever built a real aircraft, tank or ship, out of polystyrene is FUN!

I agree!  FUN is what it's all about.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

:mellow:

Personally, I see what-if models as a kind of science fiction thing, but that's through my personal approach to write background stories for the respective model, where possible. I like to root a whif in reality, in some way, and this can take wondrous directions and options. There are "real" things that were never produced in real life, there might be historical occasions or forks that led to fictional things, or there were further developments of existing designs. There's always room for creativity, and exploring this is not only fun, it also has IMHO an artistic touch that goes beyond the art of buidling a model or a diorama. It's just funny that this aspect is frequently met with skepticism, but I think - to lend a concept from Douglas Adams - an "other people's problem", not mine.  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: comrade harps on December 25, 2022, 05:15:20 AMFor me, whiffing is fun, challenging and creative and is good for my mental health.

Many moons ago when I was recovering from a heart attack my doctor, who knew I read a lot, was absolutely delighted when I told her I also made model aircraft as she said the practice of a hobby would help speed my recovery because of it giving something else for my brain to focus on  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 12, 2022, 04:05:37 AM
Quote from: andrewj on September 11, 2022, 11:14:36 PMInvented  ?!!! , you mean it's not real ?

It is here in WhiffWorld, have no fear.

Anyway you can go and see it at the Cosford Museum, it must be true 'cos it says so on the Net.  ;D

It's in Hanger Eight is it not Kit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit