Modern medium bomber

Started by kerick, September 12, 2022, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 21, 2022, 06:09:31 AMI've read somewhere, an F-15 can carry the same load as a Lancaster.

Hm, yes. I can just imagine an F-15 trying to fly with a Grand Slam loaded..................  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I could try building a couple of the 5000 pound bunker buster used in Desert Storm.
I've got the kits out to compare shapes and dimensions and see if this might actually work. Our club's show and contest is Oct 15th so I might be able to pick up spare parts there. I need to paint the one I'm working on and finish it in time for the show.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2022, 09:44:55 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 21, 2022, 06:09:31 AMI've read somewhere, an F-15 can carry the same load as a Lancaster.

Hm, yes. I can just imagine an F-15 trying to fly with a Grand Slam loaded..................  :-\

I think it was referring to the amount of smaller bombs and the ""normal"" load of a Lancaster   ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Steel Penguin

dorsal mount and launch it over the engines with a drouge chute?  :thumbsup:

Why oh why do i keep giving myself these ideas  :banghead:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

scooter

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 21, 2022, 10:39:11 AM

I think it was referring to the amount of smaller bombs and the ""normal"" load of a Lancaster   ;)

Weight of ordinance equivalent to a Grand Slam, around 22k lbs.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Wasn't there a British design (pre TSR.2) for a low-level bomber/strike aircraft with a large (atomic) bomb mounted on the back for toss bombing? I have some vague memories...  :rolleyes:

kerick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 22, 2022, 03:10:23 AMWasn't there a British design (pre TSR.2) for a low-level bomber/strike aircraft with a large (atomic) bomb mounted on the back for toss bombing? I have some vague memories...  :rolleyes:

All my memories are vague these days.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on September 21, 2022, 03:30:58 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 21, 2022, 10:39:11 AM

Weight of ordinance equivalent to a Grand Slam, around 22k lbs.

The F-15E has pylons that are good for 23,000 lbs

jcf

Yep, and the Mudhen can carry that load farther and faster than a Lancaster.  ;D

kerick

I got out some kits last night and played around with them. Looks like an F-111 front end could fit onto an F-14 fuselage with less remodeling than I thought. I would have to slightly widen the F-14 fuselage where it would meet the F-111 parts. Debating wether to use the ESCI F-111 or the Monogram EF-111A. I have the Revell F-14 to use for the back end. I wish I could enlarge the F-14 parts about 15 or 20%.
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: jcf on September 22, 2022, 12:49:10 PMYep, and the Mudhen can carry that load farther and faster than a Lancaster.  ;D

I should think so too! The Lanc was designed in the late 30s, and the F-15 in the late 60s. It's called 'progress'.

But an F-15 still can't carry a Grand Slam..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yeah! maybe not a Grand Slam, half a Tallboy though ----   ;D

kerick

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 22, 2022, 04:00:00 PMYeah! maybe not a Grand Slam, half a Tallboy though ----   ;D

A medium bomber F-111 meets F-14 combo carrying about three of those bunker busters with the JDAM kit would be fun!!
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I was playing around with some kits tonight and I think the Monogram EF-111 and the Italeri F-14 kits will work. Between the two of them I can get some extra length in the fuselage and slightly widen the F-14 rear fuselage to match the F-111. Looking at extending the F-111 bomb bay part way down the F-14 fuselage and maybe a conformal hump aft of the cockpit. I started out thinking of multi tone grey but that's been done before so it's either European 1, SEA or SAC FB-111 camo. I also checked out an F-18E kit and it had some funky looking cruise missile in it that might work into the plan.
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Well the F-111 body kitbashed with the Tornado GR.1 cockpit works so the F-14 should front end shouldn't be a problem.