Modern medium bomber

Started by kerick, September 12, 2022, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Or should I say modern heavy fighter bomber. Something less than a B-52, B-1 or B-2 but with much more payload than an F-16 or F-18. There was an idea for an enlarged F-22 with an internal bomb bay. Same thing could probably be imagined for an enlarged F-23. I was just thinking of a stretched F-14 Tomcat that would be a real "Bombcat"! Take an F-16XL and really go scale-a-rama with it. Add some real tech that would give it excellent accuracy. I'm thinking a two person crew would be standard if not three. I'm just throwing ideas around right now but do you guys think this could be a good whiff?
Scale-o-rama some Mirages with two or more engines maybe B-58 style.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

So a better FB-111?  Something with better low altitude and sprint capability than what we've got now, while still hauling around a useful payload and able to defend itself in the event of interceptors?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

Quote from: scooter on September 13, 2022, 08:25:39 AMSo a better FB-111?  Something with better low altitude and sprint capability than what we've got now, while still hauling around a useful payload and able to defend itself in the event of interceptors?

A bigger and better F-111 exactly. On BTS it was suggested a half scale B-1 type. Something with fighter type abilities and a lot more payload. One comment from a B-1 pilot said the B-1 handled like a loaded Phantom. Pretty good for a strategic bomber. Also something that could be based closer to the combat zone without freaking out other countries instead of flying all the way from the US. I'll have to dig through the junk box and see what I have.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

NARSES2

TSR 2 front end mated to an F-23 ? Not quite I know, but nonetheless a very neat looking aircraft  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 14, 2022, 12:01:00 AMTSR 2 front end mated to an F-23 ? Not quite I know, but nonetheless a very neat looking aircraft  :thumbsup:

I had a brain fart of an F-111 front end attached to a widened F-15 fuselage and larger wings. Or extra large swing wings. Or who knows what. A very volatile imagination situation.
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on September 15, 2022, 09:50:11 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 14, 2022, 12:01:00 AMTSR 2 front end mated to an F-23 ? Not quite I know, but nonetheless a very neat looking aircraft  :thumbsup:

I had a brain fart of an F-111 front end attached to a widened F-15 fuselage and larger wings. Or extra large swing wings. Or who knows what. A very volatile imagination situation.

Did you overlube your brain?  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

I think it needs an oil change.   ;D
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

The B-21 Raider will likely be about 75% the size of the B-2.  Similar planform to the B-2, so perhaps not as sexy as a big fighter bomber, and likely not able to maneuver if it has to fight it out with someone
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

I've been thinking of an F-111 front end and an F-15 or F-14 widened fuselage. Trying to add a third engine might be a challenge. Maybe an F-16 style under fuselage scoop but squared up like the Eagle or Tomcat intakes.
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

Or  ------
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: kerick on September 20, 2022, 05:05:03 PMI've been thinking of an F-111 front end and an F-15 or F-14 widened fuselage. Trying to add a third engine might be a challenge. Maybe an F-16 style under fuselage scoop but squared up like the Eagle or Tomcat intakes.

I've read somewhere, an F-15 can carry the same load as a Lancaster.

kitnut617

And this was Chris Payne's very nice build. I was going to try building one too, got all the bits to do it but never started it.

Dizzyfugu

There was a plan for the so-called FB-22 - basically an enlarged/stretched F-22, conceptually a stealthy FB-111 with an MTOW of ~120,000 lb (54,431 kg). Lockheed Martin proposed its unsolicited design as a "regional bomber" to complement the aging U.S. strategic bomber fleet. Lockheed Martin appeared to suspend work on the concept following the 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review, which called for a new strategic bomber by 2018.

McColm

You could always use the old Airfix Avro Vulcan as a starting point,  a new cockpit taken from a F-14. Twin tail fins.
Or you can use my started builds as a form of reference.

A kitbash using a 1/144 B-2 and the 1/72 Airfix RA-5C.
Then there's this lot.